Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush

by RonPurewal Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:56 am

nowwithgmat Wrote:option B , C ,and D change the meaning
X,Y,and Z that thust the volcanic activity bha bha ...

but original sentence provides idea that is

X , Y , and Z individually cause to....bha bha....

thanx

well, if you have "a, b, and c that xxxxx...", then that could have either of two interpretations:
1/
a;
b;
c that xxxxx...
or
2/
a, b, and c, all of which xxxxx...

this may seem troubling, but, if there's enough context to decide between the two, it's not an issue.
you do have a point, though, in the sentence that there's absolutely no ambiguity in the structure of the correct answer. still, is that a strong enough criterion to eliminate answer choices? don't know about that.
nowwithgmat
Forum Guests

by nowwithgmat Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:47 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
nowwithgmat Wrote:option B , C ,and D change the meaning
X,Y,and Z that thust the volcanic activity bha bha ...

but original sentence provides idea that is

X , Y , and Z individually cause to....bha bha....

thanx

well, if you have "a, b, and c that xxxxx...", then that could have either of two interpretations:
1/
a;
b;
c that xxxxx...

thanx ron

glad to your explanation.

or
2/
a, b, and c, all of which xxxxx...

this may seem troubling, but, if there's enough context to decide between the two, it's not an issue.
you do have a point, though, in the sentence that there's absolutely no ambiguity in the structure of the correct answer. still, is that a strong enough criterion to eliminate answer choices? don't know about that.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:38 am

i couldn't tell if you're asking a question here or just copying Ron's post. if you have a question, can you make it more clear?
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
bodhisattwabiswas
Forum Guests

by bodhisattwabiswas Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Guest Wrote:Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a relatively easy task, because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for anybody with a pan or shovel.

A. because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for
B. because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of
C. owing to erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of
D. since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, putting gold literally within reach for
E. since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach of

Answer: E

So, in the correct answer choice 'thrust' is used as noun instead of verb? and 'riverbeds' is used as adj. of 'thrust' instead of noun?
Please correct me if I am wrong...
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:25 am

No, I don't think anyone said that. "riverbeds" is a noun, and "thrust" is its adjective.
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
bodhisattwabiswas
Forum Guests

by bodhisattwabiswas Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:39 pm

tim Wrote:No, I don't think anyone said that. "riverbeds" is a noun, and "thrust" is its adjective.

seems that I am a bit confused about the meaning of the sentence...
Could you please mention the three (I suppose) distinct nouns in choice E that are paralleled here, and how did the parallelism work?
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:56 am

erosion, movement, and riverbeds.
Tim Sanders

bodhisattwabiswas
Forum Guests

by bodhisattwabiswas Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:22 pm

tim Wrote:erosion, movement, and riverbeds.

Thanks for the clarification...
So, the sentence means "xxxxxxxxxx, since A, B and C thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach of xxxxxxxxxx"? And "thrust to the surface by volcanic activity" is modifier of "riverbeds"?
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:52 pm

bodhisattwabiswas Wrote:
tim Wrote:erosion, movement, and riverbeds.

Thanks for the clarification...
So, the sentence means "xxxxxxxxxx, since A, B and C thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach of xxxxxxxxxx"? And "thrust to the surface by volcanic activity" is modifier of "riverbeds"?

Just to clarify:

since (1: erosion), (2: prehistoric glacier movement), and (3: ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity) put gold literally within reach

Those three things all put gold within reach.
Joe Lucero
Tadashi
Forum Guests

by Tadashi Thu May 08, 2014 12:31 am

A general question maybe..
Could some expert tell me the difference among "because of" ,"owing to", "due to", "inasmuch as", "in that", "because", "since"

Really need your help badly.
it's a big question so i try to answer it myself first.

"because of" + sth. or doing sth. (NEVER + sentence)
"because"+sentence, (offer a reason)
"since"+sentence, (offer a reason)
"owing to"="because of"
"due to"=caused by
"inasmuch as"=??? (sorry I don't know because I have never seen it used in gmat OA)
"in that"=because (when you see a "in that" & "because", choose "in that". someone told me)
---------------
Then what's the differences between because and since when we want to offer a reason?
What's the differences between "because XX do sth." , "because of XX's doing sth."
What's the differences among "inasmuch as", "in that", "because"? which one is superior?

Really a mess here...

Maybe the only one who can save me on the earth is Ron..

DOMO ARIGATO
Tadashi.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Tadashi Wrote:Could some expert tell me the difference among "because of" ,"owing to", "due to", "inasmuch as", "in that", "because", "since"

This is much, much too broad for a forum post.

You can get a good sense of the use of these words"”and a much more complete picture than you could get here"”by...
... looking them up in a dictionary and reading the example sentences;
... Googling them and reading how they are used in the results.

If you're going to Google them, you can also google random words along with them, just so that you don't get endless dictionary pages as a result.
For example, if you Google something like
"inasmuch as" economy
or
"inasmuch as" Obama
then you'll see the phrase used in actual articles.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Then what's the differences between because and since when we want to offer a reason?

Inasmuch as the GMAT is concerned, there is no difference. (This sentence is also an example of "inasmuch as".)

What's the differences between "because XX do sth." , "because of XX's doing sth."

They are quite similar. Without a specific context, it's not really possible to answer this.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 12, 2014 12:19 pm

What's the differences among "inasmuch as", "in that", "because"? which one is superior?

post56463.html#p56463

They don't mean the same thing, so, without a context, "Which is better?" is a nonsense question.
Tadashi
Forum Guests

by Tadashi Thu May 15, 2014 12:07 am

thanks Ron.

1. I've looked up "inasmuch as" in online webster dictionary
(1) inasmuch as = since, because. (Webster eg.) you should not use that source, inasmuch as it is badly out-of-date
(2) insamuch as = in the degree that .(Ron eg.) Inasmuch as the GMAT is concerned, there is no difference.

2. still can't fully understand the nuance between "because" & "in that"..

X is Z because Y --> this must actually mean that there is a literal cause-and-effect relationship. in other words, this sentence claims that "Y" is actually the reason why "X" is "Z".

X is Z in that Y --> this is a qualifier; it implies that "Y" is the only certain way in which X is Z. (don't understand the boldface part.)

For me, the examples below are really the same . can't tell the difference. T T..sigh....

My brother and I are alike because we both have a quirky sense of humor
My brother and I are alike in that we both have a quirky sense of humor

Would you like to provide more support to me?
Tadashi.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 15, 2014 9:46 am

In the link, I tried to provide more detailed explanations of the meaning of each of those sentences. Did those make sense to you?

"- I'm just going to go ahead and assume that you understand "because".

- Don't think of "in that" as some special construction. It's just "in" + noun, with "that + complete sentence" substituted for the noun.
See here if you don't know what I mean:
post47979.html#p47979