Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
noor_dalhousie
Students

Re: Fraternal Twins

by noor_dalhousie Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi Ron,

Thanx a lot for the help. The topic was indeed very useful. However, I have one doubt. Can "it" refer to a noun phrase. That's wat I thought about b option. Please advise.
noor_dalhousie
Students

by noor_dalhousie Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi Ron,

Thanx a lot for the help. The topic was indeed very useful. However, I have oyne doubt. Can "it" refer to a noun phrase. That's wat I thought about c option. Please advise.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:26 am

I don't know what a "noun phrase" is, so please provide some examples. Then I can tell you.
noor_dalhousie
Students

by noor_dalhousie Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi Ron

Please see the link "http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/nounphrase.htm" for the noun phrase.

I understand a noun phrase like e.g. "Karma is everything, it is a quotation by Buddha. Out here "Karma is everything" is a phrase that acts as a noun.

Similarly in option C, i thought "With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar" can be noun phrase referring to "it". Please let me know if i am thinking right.

Thank you!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Yeah, I know I could just google the terms. (If I ever use grammar terms on here, I've definitely just finished doing exactly that.) However, a lot of users use terms incorrectly themselves -- i.e., they use term X in their post/question, but are actually asking about thing Y that's totally different from X.
So that's why I wanted to see examples. The terms don't matter (and I don't know them anyway). What matters is what you're actually trying to ask about.

Regarding your question, I've never seen GMAC use "it" to represent anything other than an actual noun.
The most variety I've seen from GMAC is the occasional use of "it" to represent something like "x and y". (E.g., "owning and living" -- og12 #82, og13 #85.)
However, if that ever happens, there will be solid proof in the sentence. E.g., in the problem mentioned above, "owning and living" is the subject of "is", so you know that it's singular and can therefore be represented by "it".
noor_dalhousie
Students

by noor_dalhousie Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:45 am

Hi Ron,

Thanks a lot for your help. It is indeed extremely helpful.

Thank you!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:04 pm

You're welcome.
bodhisattwabiswas
Forum Guests

by bodhisattwabiswas Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:13 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:Regarding your question, I've never seen GMAC use "it" to represent anything other than an actual noun.
The most variety I've seen from GMAC is the occasional use of "it" to represent something like "x and y". (E.g., "owning and living" -- og12 #82, og13 #85.)

thanks for the explanation.
By the way, I thought in the og13 #85 (According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, ...) 'its' referred to 'a freestanding house'. Is not it so?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:29 am

bodhisattwabiswas Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:Regarding your question, I've never seen GMAC use "it" to represent anything other than an actual noun.

By the way, I thought in the og13 #85 (According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, ...) 'its' referred to 'a freestanding house'. Is not it so?

Yes, but I'm referring to "it" (which appears in the correct answer choice), not "its".
bodhisattwabiswas
Forum Guests

by bodhisattwabiswas Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:09 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
bodhisattwabiswas Wrote:

Yes, but I'm referring to "it" (which appears in the correct answer choice), not "its".

sorry...my mistake...silly me!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:38 am

These things happen to the best of us.
eggpain24
Forum Guests

Re: Re:

by eggpain24 Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:07 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
justprashant Wrote:1. As per sc 4th edition, New nano papers incorporate fibres that give these materials strength. Here these is used to refer "New nano papers", Similiarly in option e, doesnt "This Fact" referes to twins resembling each other and others look different?

the use of "because" implies that this fact can't be the fact just mentioned. in general, in the construction "because X, Y" or "Y because X", it's impossible for X and Y to refer to the same thing.

another example:
because i play the piano, i can use keyboards more efficiently --> in this sentence, "keyboards" must refer to something other than piano keyboards (e.g., computer keyboards, etc).

2.Just to understand with construction, If option "c" were to be correct what should be followed after comma?? I tried to come up with few words but that dint make sense.

in general, you shouldn't try to do this. don't try to fix sentences!

even though this section of the test is called, ironically, "sentence correction", you do not need to be able to fix the sentences; you only need to be able to select the correct answer choice from the choices given.
trying to fix the sentences is an irrelevant skill set; if you do too much of this, it will distract you from the skill set that you actually need. moreover, most users' attempts to fix sentences create numerous other errors, many of which are outside the scope of what is tested on the gmat.

Hi,ron
Can you say a little more about the #1?

why “this fact” cannot refer to “because XXX”

is it because this construction “redundant” or “illogical”?

here is my thought:

“Because some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly and others look quite dissimilar”

if “this fact” refers back to “because XXX” → seems redundant

please clarify,thank you!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:55 am

That's one way of thinking about it.
eggpain24
Forum Guests

by eggpain24 Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:18 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:That's one way of thinking about it.

thanks for your reply!
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:47 am

:)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html