Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com

by Guest Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:26 am

The Nobel prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists for their discovery that plastic can be made electrically conductive - an advance that has led to improvements in film, television screens, and windows.

a.same as above
b.that plastic can be made electrically conductive - this advance leading
c.that plastic can be made to be electrically conductive, and this advance led
d.of plastic's ability to be made electrically conductive, with this advance leading
e.of plastic being able to be made electrically conductive - an advance that has led

Hi guys, would appreciate some help here:

a. we use "THAT" in this case because it links the DEPENDENT Clause "The Nobel prize .... their discovery" with INDEPENDENT clause "plastic can be made .."? Is my concept correct?

b. What is wrong with ----- this advance leading to?

d. It is wrong because of passive voice being used?

Thank you.
KH
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:10 am

Anonymous Wrote:a. we use "THAT" in this case because it links the DEPENDENT Clause "The Nobel prize .... their discovery" with INDEPENDENT clause "plastic can be made .."? Is my concept correct?

backwards, actually.
the independent clause is the main part of the sentence, which is 'the nobel prize ... was awarded'.
the other clause is subordinated by the use of the word 'that' (which makes it into an adjective clause modifying the word 'discovery'). (see http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/adjectiveclause.htm)

Anonymous Wrote:b. What is wrong with ----- this advance leading to?

you can't start with 'this advance' unless you're writing a new independent clause (as you would if you were following a coordinating conjunction such as 'and', 'but', etc.) if you're going to use a modifier like this, it should start with 'AN advance' (as does choice A).

Anonymous Wrote:d. It is wrong because of passive voice being used?

- i wouldn't say 'wrong', but the passive voice does render this answer choice awfully wordy and awkward. in fact, the whole thing ('plastic's ability to be made...') just looks and sounds terrible, although you might not realize that if english isn't your first language.
- 'with' is used incorrectly to link the 2 clauses.

by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:46 am

What is the OA?

Ron, please explain how "-" should be used?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:01 am

Anonymous Wrote:What is the OA?

Ron, please explain how "-" should be used?

correct answer should be a.

the dash is basically a high-class substitute for a comma, used to introduce modifiers. it is generally used in one of 2 situations:
1, when the modifier is unexpected or ironic:
of all the contestants on the quiz show, marvin - the man with three professional degrees and a fellowship at harvard - was the first to be eliminated.
you could use commas here, but the dashes are better, because they emphasize the irony of the fact that the really smart dude with all the diplomas got knocked off the show first.

2, when commas would render the sentence difficult or ambiguous:
my three best friends - tom, dick, and harry - and their girlfriends came to the party.
try writing this sentence with commas, and you'll find that it's unclear whether t, d, and h are my three best friends or not.

in this case, though, it appears that the dash is gratuitous, and that it could just as well have been a comma (but notice that it's still restricted to its usual task of introducing a modifier).
Guest660

by Guest660 Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:49 am

Whats wrong with C ????
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:17 pm

Guest660 Wrote:Whats wrong with C ????

the construction of choice (c) (...and this advance led to...) seems to present two more or less independent events in sequence. in other words, the nobel prize was awarded, and, at some later point, the advance led to blah blah blah.
that doesn't make much sense - presumably, the nobel was awarded at least partially because the discovery in question had already led to profound consequences. also, it doesn't make good rhetorical sense, either; the purpose of the sentence is clearly to relate the nobel prize to the importance of the discovery, not to present two random events as if they were in sequence.
zhongshanlh
Forum Guests

Re:

by zhongshanlh Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:07 am

RonPurewal Wrote:

the construction of choice (c) (...and this advance led to...) seems to present two more or less independent events in sequence. in other words, the nobel prize was awarded, and, at some later point, the advance led to blah blah blah.
that doesn't make much sense - presumably, the nobel was awarded at least partially because the discovery in question had already led to profound consequences. also, it doesn't make good rhetorical sense, either; the purpose of the sentence is clearly to relate the nobel prize to the importance of the discovery, not to present two random events as if they were in sequence.

besides,i think "made to be electrically conductive" is redundant in C.
we should just say that"plastic can be made electrically conductive"
tim
Course Students

Re: The Nobel prize in chemistry was awarded to

by tim Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:18 pm

remember, you should not try to come up with your own improved wording for sentences. instead, focus on finding grammar errors in the choices..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:00 pm

b. What is wrong with ----- this advance leading to?

you can't start with 'this advance' unless you're writing a new independent clause (as you would if you were following a coordinating conjunction such as 'and', 'but', etc.) if you're going to use a modifier like this, it should start with 'AN advance' (as does choice A).

Thank you Ron,
I do not understand why we need" ad advance..." what is meaning problem in B?
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:17 am

i'm so confused. you asked a question, answered it, and then asked it again! :) what exactly are you concerned about here?
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:11 am

I do not understand the above explanation. I do not understand why B is wrong and A is correct. why "this"in B is not good and "an" in A is good. pls explain.
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Ron already explained why. If you don't care for this explanation, you'll just have to learn that the use of "this" in this way is simply wrong..
Tim Sanders

mcmebk
Forum Guests

Re:

by mcmebk Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:56 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:

Hi Ron

Is there any grammar error with C at all? because in another questionhttp://www.manhattangmat.com/fo ... t7937.html it used similar structure: XXXXX, AND this vantage point made XXX. To me these two questions look very similar.

Thanks
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:45 am

The Nobel prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists for their discovery //that plastic can be made electrically conductive - an advance that has led// to improvements in film, television screens, and windows.

a.same as above
b.that plastic can be made electrically conductive - this advance leading
c.that plastic can be made to be electrically conductive, and this advance led
d.of plastic's ability to be made electrically conductive, with this advance leading
e.of plastic being able to be made electrically conductive - an advance that has led

I agree that "this" in B is wrong.

but "leading " in B is also wrong because "can be" is in present time and , so , "leading" must be in present time. This is not correct. The correct tense is "have led".

is my thinking correct?
mcmebk
Forum Guests

by mcmebk Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:36 am

Hi Ron

Perhaps my question was missed...hope you don't mind clearing my doubts for me.

You said in this question, the usage of "and this advance" in C breaks the sentence apart and is thus not correct, however, in another prep question:

Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the American Revolution personally, Mercy Otis Warren was continually at or near the center of political events from 1765 to 1789, a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make her one of the most valuable historians of the era.

(A) a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make (The vantage point is combining with her talent for writing? No- she had two distinct advantages: a vantage point and a talent for writing.)
(B) a vantage point, when combined with her talent for writing, that made
(C) a vantage point that combined with her talent for writing, and it made
(D) and this vantage point, which combined with her talent for writing to make
(E) and this vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, made

Correct answer E uses "and this vantage point", would you please explain to us what the difference is?

Thank you Ron.