Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
tim
Course Students

Re: The Nobel prize in chemistry was awarded to

by tim Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:29 pm

thanghnvn Wrote:is my thinking correct?

No. Please read the thread and please stop making up nonexistent rules to account for situations that Ron has already explained thoroughly.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
tim
Course Students

Re: Re:

by tim Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:34 pm

mcmebk Wrote:Is there any grammar error with C at all? because in another questionhttp://www.manhattangmat.com/fo ... t7937.html it used similar structure: XXXXX, AND this vantage point made XXX. To me these two questions look very similar.

Technically there is nothing wrong with C from a grammatical perspective; it just messes up the meaning as Ron described above, and A is both grammatically correct and conveys the intended meaning.
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

Re:

by thanghnvn Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Guest Wrote:The Nobel prize in chemistry was awarded to three scientists for their discovery that plastic can be made electrically conductive - an advance that has led to improvements in film, television screens, and windows.

a.same as above
b.that plastic can be made electrically conductive - this advance leading
c.that plastic can be made to be electrically conductive, and this advance led
d.of plastic's ability to be made electrically conductive, with this advance leading
e.of plastic being able to be made electrically conductive - an advance that has led

Hi guys, would appreciate some help here:

a. we use "THAT" in this case because it links the DEPENDENT Clause "The Nobel prize .... their discovery" with INDEPENDENT clause "plastic can be made .."? Is my concept correct?

b. What is wrong with ----- this advance leading to?

d. It is wrong because of passive voice being used?

Thank you.
KH

honestly, I want to know why B is wrong.

the big difference betwee a and b is that " a" refer to indefinite thing while "this", like "the", refers to a definite thing. I am sure this difference is the reason for b to be wrong. but I do not know why.

it is clear that b is ambiguous because we have the following pattern

main clause+noun+noun modifier

in this pattern "noun+noun modifier" modifis the main clause, showing the context of the main clause. this means the phenominon expressed by "noun+noun modifer" start or happen before the action in the main clause. this previousness is not logic with the word "this". B is wrong.

no general grammar books explain this point. how to learn

why B is wrong? pls explain more.

it is clear that "a" is used to refer to a new thing while "this, the, that" is used to refer to old/ already mentioned thing. but why "this " in B is wrong?

if we do not understand fully why B is wrong, how can we perform in the test room?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:02 am

Choice B uses the modifier "leading". For this modifier to be correct, it must be concurrent with the timeframe of the sentence.

There are actually two timeframes with which this "__ing" could be compatible: (a) the awarding of the prize, (b) the discovery itself.
Neither of these timeframes can reasonably contain the process by which the discovery led to inventions, so __ing doesn't work here.
harika.apu
Students

Re:

by harika.apu Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:01 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
Guest660 Wrote:Whats wrong with C ????

the construction of choice (c) (...and this advance led to...) seems to present two more or less independent events in sequence. in other words, the nobel prize was awarded, and, at some later point, the advance led to blah blah blah.
that doesn't make much sense - presumably, the nobel was awarded at least partially because the discovery in question had already led to profound consequences. also, it doesn't make good rhetorical sense, either; the purpose of the sentence is clearly to relate the nobel prize to the importance of the discovery, not to present two random events as if they were in sequence.

Hello Ron ,
This explanation is very clear .

tim
Course Students

by tim Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:05 am

Glad to hear it!
Tim Sanders

RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:05 am

harika.apu Wrote:Hello Ron ,
This explanation is very clear .

you're welcome.
HM537
Students

by HM537 Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:22 am

i read the thread about choice D. I think "with+noun+ing" is the consequence of the preceding action- "plastic's ability to be made electrically conductive". so i don't know why with incorrectly linked 2 clauses. what's wrong with my concept?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:41 pm

HM537 Wrote:i read the thread about choice D. I think "with+noun+ing" is the consequence of the preceding action- "plastic's ability to be made electrically conductive". so i don't know why with incorrectly linked 2 clauses. what's wrong with my concept?

you've assessed the intended meaning correctly, but this isn't how 'with + noun + __ing' is used.
'with + noun + __ing' is used to discuss, in more detail, some part or aspect of whatever is described in the preceding sentence.

here we are talking about a LATER consequence—in other words, NOT a component/aspect/part of the situation just described.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:42 pm

read more here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... ml#p102567 (and following posts)
aflaamM589
Students

by aflaamM589 Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:14 am

aflaamM589
Students

by aflaamM589 Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:53 am

RonPurewal Wrote:Choice B uses the modifier "leading". For this modifier to be correct, it must be concurrent with the timeframe of the sentence.

There are actually two timeframes with which this "__ing" could be compatible: (a) the awarding of the prize, (b) the discovery itself.
Neither of these timeframes can reasonably contain the process by which the discovery led to inventions, so __ing doesn't work here.

Is'nt time frame of (a) the awarding of the prize,making sense?

i.e the awarding took place when inventions were already taking place...?

thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:44 am

perhaps. even then, you can't start a modifier with "this xxxx".
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:57 am

in the pattern
main clause+a/an+noun+noun modification

the ending phrase summarize the main clause.

in the pattern
main clause+noun+noun modification
the ending phrase gives a detail to main clause.

so , the meaning here require the first pattern .

am i correct?
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:30 am

Probably not. The thing is, you have been on this forum for many years offering formulas for sentences and asking us if they are correct. As you no doubt have discovered by now, that is not working. Please stop trying to create a formula for everything and work on understanding the sentences themselves.
Tim Sanders