Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
mclaren7

Taste buds are onion-shaped structures

by mclaren7 Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:37 am

Dear moderators and friends

Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, each of [u]them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.[u/]

A. them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore
B. them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore
C. which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of taste bud
D. which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud
E. which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore

BE - SV error
D which having - error
Between A and C, I am stuck. No obvious errors detectable in these 2 options.
OA C

Thanks
KH
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Taste buds are onion-shaped structures

by RonPurewal Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:04 am

mclaren7 Wrote:Dear moderators and friends

Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, each of [u]them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.[u/]

A. them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore
B. them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore
C. which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of taste bud
D. which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud
E. which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore

BE - SV error
D which having - error
OA C

Thanks
KH

'them' in choice a is a big big BIG error that should jump out and scream at you.
namely, that sentence is a 'comma splice': a sentence in which two independent clauses (i.e., sentences that can stand on their own as complete sentences, not subordinated to any other main clause) are joined together by a comma. that phenomenon, which creates one type of 'run-on' sentence, is ALWAYS wrong. no exceptions. choice c avoids that problem by using a genuine subordinate clause, subordinated by 'each of which...' (a relative pronoun).

the following part of choice a is also problematic:
at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore
this phrasing seems to suggest that the taste bud itself is called the taste pore, when, in fact, that name is meant to refer to the opening mentioned earlier. at best, the phrasing is ambiguous, and, at worst, it refers explicitly to the wrong thing.
H

by H Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi,

I just wonder, in c, whether "each of which has fingerlike projectives poking through the opening" is an appositive. If not, what is it?

If I drop "each of which has fingerlike projectives poking through the opening" (which I assume is a non-restrictive adjective clause or some sort), the sentence becomes

Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud.

OR

Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud.

Which one is the correct structure?

I have seen a structure like [clause], [present participle phrase] or [clause] [present/past participle phrase]. Both serve different purposes and modify different things.

But I have never seen [clause], [past participle phrase]. What's its function? What's it trying to modify?
H

by H Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:08 pm

I mean "participle phrase"s modify something not the structure...
sorry
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:04 am

H Wrote:If I drop "each of which has fingerlike projectives poking through the opening" (which I assume is a non-restrictive adjective clause or some sort), the sentence becomes

Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud.

OR

Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud.

neither.

in fact, the entirety of the following is the modifier:
each of which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of taste bud

the underlined part is actually a modifier within a modifier. if you remove that, it becomes much easier to see that what's left is ALL a modifier:
each of which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of taste bud

therefore, the remaining skeleton sentence is just
Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells.

crazy stuff.

by Guest Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:50 am

RPurewal Wrote:

BE - SV error
D which having - error
OA C

Thanks
KH

'them' in choice a is a big big BIG error that should jump out and scream at you.
namely, that sentence is a 'comma splice': a sentence in which two independent clauses (i.e., sentences that can stand on their own as complete sentences, not subordinated to any other main clause) are joined together by a comma. that phenomenon, which creates one type of 'run-on' sentence, is ALWAYS wrong. no exceptions. choice c avoids that problem by using a genuine subordinate clause, subordinated by 'each of which...' (a relative pronoun).

this phrasing seems to suggest that the taste bud itself is called the taste pore, when, in fact, that name is meant to refer to the opening mentioned earlier. at best, the phrasing is ambiguous, and, at worst, it refers explicitly to the wrong thing.

As far as the comma splice is concerned, I have this example from OG10 #195
[deleted --ron]
The sentence fragment with 'each' is a proper clause. Can you please check this and let me know why comma splice and run on does not hold on this while hold on the current thread question.

Apart from this, how does the inclusion of "of them" after each in thread question becomes a menace and a big no no? It will great if the corresponding rule be specified regarding 'them', if it is there.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:40 am

Anonymous Wrote:As far as the comma splice is concerned, I have this example from OG10
195. [deleted --ron]

you can't post o.g. stuff. there's no exception to that rule for earlier editions, either; i.e., questions from ALL editions of the o.g., not just the latest editions, are prohibited.
sorry!

the "clause" you posted is in fact not a clause, because "targeted at..." is not a verb; it's a past participle. in other words, x targeted at y is NOT a sentence, but x is/was targeted at y IS a sentence.

Apart from this, how does the inclusion of "of them" after each in thread question becomes a menace and a big no no? It will great if the corresponding rule be specified regarding 'them', if it is there.

if you're going to make a subordinate clause like that, you need to use a relative pronoun, such as "which".
for instance,
the rain surprised the campers, they were expecting sunny weather --> run-on, because each half is a legitimate clause.
the rain surprised the campers, who were expecting sunny weather --> legitimate sentence containing a subordinate clause, due to the use of the relative pronoun "who".

the deal with "each of them" vs. "each of which" is exactly the same.
balabaladou
Forum Guests

Re:

by balabaladou Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:01 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
H Wrote:If I drop "each of which has fingerlike projectives poking through the opening" (which I assume is a non-restrictive adjective clause or some sort), the sentence becomes

OR

neither.

in fact, the entirety of the following is the modifier:
each of which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of taste bud

the underlined part is actually a modifier within a modifier. if you remove that, it becomes much easier to see that what's left is ALL a modifier:
each of which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of taste bud

therefore, the remaining skeleton sentence is just
Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells.

crazy stuff.

Hi,
Could you please explain more about what's the "a modifier within a modifier".
As we known, "called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud." all modify the "opening". However, as the same modifiers, why do not have any conjunction between them. What's the usage here?

Thanks in advance.
JonathanSchneider
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by JonathanSchneider Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:49 pm

True, those both modify "opening." But notice that this whole clause, starting with "each of which" is a modifier as well. That's what Ron means by "modifier with a modifier."

We don't need a conjunction after ", called the taste pore," because this section is set off in commas, basically just adding extra info. So, while both parts modify the opening, one of them is set off as being at a "lower level" -- basically showing that it is just extra (unnecessary for the meaning of the sentence) info.
direstraits007
Students

by direstraits007 Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:53 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:

BE - SV error
D which having - error
OA C

Thanks
KH

Ron,

So the usage of "them" in above context made the sentence comma splice. So here below are two versions of a sentence and I found the second one correct (as given in the book):

Each year, thousands of Salmon swim up the rivers of Maine to spawn, only a few of which are genetically recognizable. [Given as Incorrect --> I used the above logic "to use relative clause(which) to join two phrases" to infer that this sentence is correct, but this is given as incorrect. Please explain why?]
OR
Each year, thousands of Salmon swim up the rivers of Maine to spawn, but only a few of them are genetically recognizable. [Given as Correct --> Perhaps the usage of conjunction "but" make the sentence correct]

So, Why is the first sentence incorrect?

Thanks!

GeeMate.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:23 pm

direstraits007 Wrote:So, Why is the first sentence incorrect?

Thanks!

GeeMate.

"some of which" has the same grammatical restrictions as does "which" itself. i.e., the noun / noun phrase that it's modifying MUST come IMMEDIATELY before the comma.

since the previous clause ends with an infinitive ("to spawn"), it's impossible to follow up with any sort of "which"-based modifier.
david.khoy
Students

by david.khoy Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Could someone please explain what is wrong with answer D?

"Each of which having" seems to be the problem, but I cannot see why.

I narrowed to C and D. Both seem grammatically correct to me.
a.ganguly758
Students

by a.ganguly758 Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:11 am

Hi Ron,

Could you please elaborate a bit on the grammer rule behind the usage of a plural (cells) and then each of which has in the correct option of the sentence. I ended up choosing option E which uses a plural have. Look forward to your help.
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 pm

a.ganguly, as soon as you invoke the word "each" you indicate that you are now talking about each one rather than the whole group. "each" must be treated as a singular noun, so "each...has" is appropriate..

David, yours is a little tougher because logically D seems like the better construction according to the rules with which we are familiar. Remove the "of which", which is a modifier for "each", and you are left with "each has" in the OA, which looks very much like a run-on sentence (one that could be fixed by changing "has" to "having"). So there is no rule-based explanation. This one is an idiom and you just have to memorize this construction despite how illogical it is..

As an aside, the phrase "each of which" shows up four times in OG12, NEVER as part of a sentence correction problem, and ALWAYS followed by a singular indicative verb..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
david.khoy
Students

by david.khoy Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:18 am

Thank you very much Tim.