Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
Suapplle
Forum Guests

Re: Some patients who do not respond

by Suapplle Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:35 am

Hi,instructors,I am confused about parallelism.
whether "have been" and "am/is/are" can parallel or not?
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:46 am

the reason to eliminate b and c is parallelism. the parallelism in a is PERFECT ONE. gmat like perfect parallelism. gmat like the same verb form. this is strange becaue there are many oa in og and gmatprep, in which there is no perfect parallelism.

parallelism should be prefered. un-parallelism is not alway eliminated . This means that sometimes, the un-parallelism can be considered correct if there is no better choice. this situation is called "sometimes correct, other times incorrect"

b and c is also parallel but they do not use the same form of verbs. I do not know what we should learn from gmat when we study this question.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:56 am

thanghnvn Wrote:the reason to eliminate b and c is parallelism. the parallelism in a is PERFECT ONE. gmat like perfect parallelism. gmat like the same verb form. this is strange becaue there are many oa in og and gmatprep, in which there is no perfect parallelism.

Not really "strange". Just a result of the fact that, well, not everything in the world can be expressed in exactly the same way.
E.g.,
We argue just as often and about the same things as the couple next door.
--> "(Just as) often" is an adverb. "About the same things" doesn't contain a literal adverb, but it acts the same way (both modifiers describe "argue".
There's no adverb that means "about the same things", so this is about as good as you're going to get here.

If two constructions can be expressed in perfect parallelism, then clearly that's what you want. But that's not always possible.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:57 am

parallelism should be prefered. un-parallelism is not alway eliminated . This means that sometimes, the un-parallelism can be considered correct if there is no better choice. this situation is called "sometimes correct, other times incorrect"

Too complicated.

Your task is to choose the best parallelism from among the given choices.
That's it.
It's like picking the tallest person in a group. There's no sense in thinking of that person as "taller than some people, but shorter than other people" -- why bother? Just pick the tallest person in the current group.

In fact, there's no reason to consider these choices individually at all, in terms of parallelism (as you're doing here). That's like measuring each person's individual height -- again, unnecessary if you just want to find the tallest person.
Suapplle
Forum Guests

by Suapplle Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:42 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
saintjingjing Wrote:why can not choose B, in meaning, I think B is clear too

"having" + "was ineffective" doesn't make sense.

"having" adopts the same timeframe as the rest of the sentence -- which is the present (we can discern this by noticing that the sentence is talking about patients who do not respond). however, "was ineffective" seems to suggest that the prescription was ineffective sometime in the past.
taken together, these two contexts seem to indicate that the patient is, for some reason, holding onto an old prescription that was ineffective.

Hi,Ron,I read all the threads again,but I still confused with choice(B),I don't know why "having" + "was ineffective" doesn't make sense. as I see, patients hold onto an old prescription that was ineffective was part of inadequate treatment.
besides,can "having" and "being" be parallel?more generally,can all the helping verb parallel with each other,such as "have been " and "am/is/are"?
in choice c, what is the function of "as"?
please help.thank you very much!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:55 am

Suapplle Wrote:Hi,Ron,I read all the threads again,but I still confused with choice(B),I don't know why "having" + "was ineffective" doesn't make sense. as I see, patients hold onto an old prescription that was ineffective was part of inadequate treatment.

The sentence deals with the present ("do not respond to therapies").
"Was ineffective" doesn't make sense unless paired with "did not respond". The ineffectiveness of the prescription is presented as a reason for the patient's non-response, so these must be presented together.
josefdong
Forum Guests

by josefdong Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:09 am

RonPurewal Wrote:"Was ineffective" doesn't make sense unless paired with "did not respond". The ineffectiveness of the prescription is presented as a reason for the patient's non-response, so these must be presented together.

Hi Tutor,

Is it legitimate to say "a drug prescription is ineffective"? I think we should say "a prescribed drug is ineffective." So, in this way, A is also better than B. I'm not a native speaker, so if wrong, pls. kindly shed light on it.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:54 am

josefdong Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:"Was ineffective" doesn't make sense unless paired with "did not respond". The ineffectiveness of the prescription is presented as a reason for the patient's non-response, so these must be presented together.

Hi Tutor,

Is it legitimate to say "a drug prescription is ineffective"? I think we should say "a prescribed drug is ineffective." So, in this way, A is also better than B. I'm not a native speaker, so if wrong, pls. kindly shed light on it.

That's a trenchant observation. I agree.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:07 am

[quote="sumithshah"]1). Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A -- having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

both "having been" in A and "having" in B are correct.
is that right?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:57 am

Those issues are already addressed in this thread; please read the earlier discussion. Thanks.
eggpain24
Forum Guests

by eggpain24 Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:16 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:Those issues are already addressed in this thread; please read the earlier discussion. Thanks.

HI,ron

I am a little bit confused about the mistake on C
can you have a further explanation on it?

also,as to the correct choice A

it is rare to see comma+having done / having been done appear in the correct choice ( but GMAT is the boss = =)

here is choice A

the main verb is “have received” → started in the past and continue to the present timeframe

modifier is “having been prescribed” → happened simultaneously with the main verb(also started in the past and continue to the present timeframe)

that is a perfect match~

is my analysis above right? just feel free to correct if I am wrong
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:44 am

eggpain24 Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:Those issues are already addressed in this thread; please read the earlier discussion. Thanks.

HI,ron

I am a little bit confused about the mistake on C
can you have a further explanation on it?

also,as to the correct choice A

it is rare to see comma+having done / having been done appear in the correct choice ( but GMAT is the boss = =)

here is choice A

the main verb is “have received” → started in the past and continue to the present timeframe

modifier is “having been prescribed” → happened simultaneously with the main verb(also started in the past and continue to the present timeframe)

that is a perfect match~

is my analysis above right? just feel free to correct if I am wrong

Please go back and read the third post in this thread on page 1; Jonathan Schneider discusses why C is wrong.

And yes, if the GMAT says that this construction is correct, then it is correct!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
soulwangh
Forum Guests

Re:

by soulwangh Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:58 am

JonathanSchneider Wrote:C would be incorrect because of Parallelism as well. Note that "as" creates a comparison, which is a special case of P-ism. Here the "as" connects "having too low a dosage" with "treatment." The same is the case with E, in a way, as the example give is not an example of a "treatment."

Hi,

Sorry to bring this old post up.
I don't know why "having too low a dosage" or "being cut off a drug" does not parallel to "treatment".
Please elaborate.

IMO, C is wrong because
1) if "as" creates a comparison, it must connect a whole sentence except that it exists in idioms such as "as...as" or "the same as" etc.

Or except that it exists in a reduced clause (don't mind the term).
Eg. the chemical reaction will produce a lot of smoke, as written in the instruction.

Both the meaning and the form of Choice C do not fit into this pattern.

2) If the intent usage of "as" is to give example, we should use "such as" . Even if we use "such as", we have redundancy problem because there is "for example".

3) Even if we could have found one interpretation to justify this sentence, it lacks clarity compared with the correct choice.

Please validate my idea.
Thanks in advance.
JaneC643
Forum Guests

by JaneC643 Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:20 am

Hi,
Can we also eliminate D because "it" has nothing to refer to? In my opinion, "it" is supposed to refer to "drug". However, there is no standalone "drug", we only have "a drug prescription", and here "drug" is used to modify "prescription".
Thanks,
Jane
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:18 am

JaneC643 Wrote:Hi,
Can we also eliminate D because "it" has nothing to refer to?

yes.

well done.