Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Some patients who do not respond

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:29 pm

pras1387 Wrote:Hi everyone,
Just to add on , For eliminating option D can we say its a fragment.
because the sentence construction is
(Independent clause-1),example (independent clause-2)
In option d, The independent clause-2 is actually not independent or standalone.

no.
grammatically that's fine; "when" is a subordinating conjunction.
saintjingjing
Students

by saintjingjing Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:50 am

why can not choose B, in meaning, I think B is clear too
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:00 am

saintjingjing Wrote:why can not choose B, in meaning, I think B is clear too

"having" + "was ineffective" doesn't make sense.

"having" adopts the same timeframe as the rest of the sentence -- which is the present (we can discern this by noticing that the sentence is talking about patients who do not respond). however, "was ineffective" seems to suggest that the prescription was ineffective sometime in the past.
taken together, these two contexts seem to indicate that the patient is, for some reason, holding onto an old prescription that was ineffective.
xingym
Students

by xingym Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:00 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
saintjingjing Wrote:why can not choose B, in meaning, I think B is clear too

"having" + "was ineffective" doesn't make sense.

"having" adopts the same timeframe as the rest of the sentence -- which is the present (we can discern this by noticing that the sentence is talking about patients who do not respond). however, "was ineffective" seems to suggest that the prescription was ineffective sometime in the past.
taken together, these two contexts seem to indicate that the patient is, for some reason, holding onto an old prescription that was ineffective.

hi Ron

I unserstand that "having" adopts the same timeframe as the rest of the sentence, but the main clause is that " some patients who..... may have received....", in this case the verb tense is in simple past rather than present, isn't it?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:57 am

xingym Wrote:I unserstand that "having" adopts the same timeframe as the rest of the sentence, but the main clause is that " some patients who..... may have received....", in this case the verb tense is in simple past rather than present, isn't it?

"may have received" is written in the present perfect tense. the present perfect describes (usually recent) past events, but is written from the standpoint of the present. in fact, that is why it's called the "present perfect".
so, the ambient timeframe of that clause is the president.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:10 am

I have a question. Ron, manhantan experts, pls, help

I meet him when learning English

is not acceptable on gmat.

learning English, I meet hem

is acceptable on gmat.

Is that thing right?

I see a following question in og 10, in which e is refused. Reason for refusion possibly is not PREPOSITION DOING BEHIDE, not "when willing" behide.

[deleted because problem is from a banned source - see below]
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:23 pm

OG is a banned source; it is illegal to post OG questions anywhere on the web. If you are in one of our classes, please ask OG questions during office hours or before/after class..

Not only can we not discuss details of OG10 questions, but you also did not make it clear how that question related to the larger discussion..

As for your example sentences, they are both wrong, but possibly for reasons other than the topic you're intending to discuss. I can't tell actually, because you haven't really made it clear what you're trying to discuss. Please take another look at what you were trying to write, make it clear what you are asking, and be sure to use correct grammar in your post so we can understand what you are trying to ask about..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
davetzulin
Forum Guests

by davetzulin Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:38 am

i still don't understand why D is wrong outside of just akwardness

D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were

have been and were seem to be parallel on the surface, two people including an instructor said claimed not parallel. what is not parallel then?

is it because

"have been prescribed" <--- still prescribed, present perfect
"were taken off a drug" <-- simple past, perhaps they got back on the drug later? have been taken off would indicate they are still off

thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 07, 2012 3:35 am

davetzulin Wrote:i still don't understand why D is wrong outside of just akwardness

D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were

have been and were seem to be parallel on the surface, two people including an instructor said claimed not parallel. what is not parallel then?

is it because

"have been prescribed" <--- still prescribed, present perfect
"were taken off a drug" <-- simple past, perhaps they got back on the drug later? have been taken off would indicate they are still off

thanks

these are two possible causes of the same thing, considered in the same timeframe, so they should appear in the same tense.
when things are simple, it's imperative to keep them simple.
messi10
Course Students

by messi10 Fri May 03, 2013 8:14 am

Can B and C be eliminated for the use of "being" as a modifier? I know being is not always wrong but is it wrong when used as a modifier?

Thanks
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Fri May 03, 2013 6:56 pm

Not always as a modifier, but in this and most cases, yes.

Being 15, I made some dumb mistakes.

I believe (although I'm not 100% sure here), the difference is that the above example is an adjective (noun modifier), while the attempt in B/C is to be an adverb (verb modifier). There's a lot of other issues with B/C, so this would be further down on my list of things to note.

Edit: I'd take Ron's advice here from another post: avoid starting modifiers with "being" post67403.html#p67403
Joe Lucero
messi10
Course Students

by messi10 Sat May 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Great, thanks Joe
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Sat May 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Sure thing.
Joe Lucero
chwera58
Forum Guests

by chwera58 Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:14 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
davetzulin Wrote:i still don't understand why D is wrong outside of just akwardness

thanks

these are two possible causes of the same thing, considered in the same timeframe, so they should appear in the same tense.
when things are simple, it's imperative to keep them simple.

Hi, Ron, appreciate greatly if you can answer my following question:

1) Please kindly correct me if I am wrong: put "have been" & "were" in parallel does not by themselves deem illegitimate usage, it is the context that these two causes can be constructed in the same present perfect tense makes choice D less favorable?

2) Is this example correct?: I am too fat because I have been eating too much junk food (I am still eating junk food) and was lazy to exercise (but I started exercising two months ago).

Thank you very much Ron.
Suapplle
Forum Guests

by Suapplle Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:35 am

Hi,instructors,I am confused about parallelism.
whether "have been" and "am/is/are" can parallel or not?