Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
maximkononov
Course Students

Researchers have noted that panda bears...

by maximkononov Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:04 pm

The answer to the problem #4 in Foundations of GMAT Verbal on p. 217 is probably wrong because explanation of this answer tells totally the opposite:

The problem: Reaearchers have noted that panda bears that have given birth to live young live longer in the wild. Therefore, these researchers have concluded that giving birth to live young increases a panda's lifespan.

The argument makes which of the following assumptions?

The answer: (C) Pandas that are already likely to live longer are also more likely to give birth to live young.

The explanation from the book: Answer (C) is correct. The author assumes that the causality does not run the other way - that having the qualities leading to a long lifespan doesn't cause pandas to be more likely to give birth to live young.

Doesn't the explanation contradict the answer (C)?
jlucero
Forum Guests

Re: Researchers have noted that panda bears...

by jlucero Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:29 pm

I can't seem to find the question that you are referring to. Check the page and problem number again, or if you're looking at the digital version of our books, make sure to mention the chapter number as the pages are slightly off.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
john.r.crosswhite
Forum Guests

by john.r.crosswhite Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:00 pm

The book is "Foundations of GMAT Verbal" (Fifth Edition). It's in Chapter 11: Putting It All Together, the final section, "Critical Reasoning 'Hints' Drill", question #4, on pages 216-217. The answer is on page 226.

Either I'm a big dumbie, or this is an error... as the "correct" assumption directly contradicts the question's argument/conclusion.

And, as noted above, the answer section is even more confusing, as it explicitly says, correctly, that the question's argument/conclusion assumes "A --> B", not "B --> A", and then in literally the next sentence, says, but gosh, "B --> A" sure is a good argument, though... when the point of the question seems to be: "find an assumption that supports A --> B".
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:23 pm

i don't believe there is a "fifth edition" of this book, but i have managed to track down chapter 11 "putting it all together", which starts on page 179 of my book. however, the problem you mention does not appear anywhere in that chapter. can you perhaps scan the page of the book where you think the question is (along with the solution) and email to to me so i can have a look and figure out where we aren't understanding each other? my email address is tsanders at manhattanprep.com
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
piti
Forum Guests

by piti Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi Tim,

I'm looking at the 5th edition right now... And I also don't understand why answer C is correct.

Argument: "Researches have noted that panda bears that have given birth to live young live longer in the wild. Therefore, these researches have concluded that giving birth to live young increases a panda's lifespan"

Question: "The argument makes which of the following assumptions?"

Answer (C): "Pandas that are already likely to live longer are also more likely to give birth to live young"

Can you please explain how C could possibly be the correct answer? It completely contracdicts the conclusion!

Thanks,
piti
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:40 pm

still waiting for someone to scan the page and email it to me. i'm not trying to be difficult, i just DON'T HAVE this information and cannot help you until i do..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
piti
Forum Guests

by piti Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi Tim,

It doesn't allow me to send you an e-mail nor to attached the scanned file.

Thanks,
Piti
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:59 am

piti Wrote:Hi Tim,

It doesn't allow me to send you an e-mail nor to attached the scanned file.

Thanks,
Piti

Hi,
I too have just carefully read each page of chapter 11 of the Foundations of Verbal book and I don't see this problem anywhere. Unless someone else can give us a different location for this problem I'm afraid that we can't do anything else. I'm really sorry.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
piti
Forum Guests

by piti Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi,

Foundations of GMAT verbal, Chapter 11, page 216, Question #4.

I'll be glad to send you a scan of the pages if you send me a mail with your e-mail.

Thanks,
Piti
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:14 pm

read the thread.
Tim Sanders

crissium
Forum Guests

by crissium Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi All,

Here is a scan:
http://tinypic.com/r/fl8p6t/6
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:28 pm

thanks for that pic. strange that it did not include a page number, so the mystery continues. i also do not have a solution scanned, but my guess is on question 4 they just forgot to put the word "not" in front of "also"..
Tim Sanders

crissium
Forum Guests

by crissium Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:07 am

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the quick response. It makes sense.

Happy New Year!
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:49 pm

glad it made sense to you. i'm still puzzled about why the problem doesn't show up in my book, but whatever.. :)
Tim Sanders

asth678
Course Students

by asth678 Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Is there a mistake in this questions.I cant seem to figure out why the correct answer is c.
I think c is wrong-the closest right answer I though of is A-Its removing a cause that might reduce the lifespan of panda's.
The problem is on page 217 qs 4 from the FOV book.