Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

Re: On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are

by thanghnvn Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:19 am

Saurabh Malpani Wrote:On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate
E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow

In this question how do I decide between A/E. I understand that Rate That is not GREAT but even surest indications on Earth of sunspot ( This means that a different earth exists that belongs to Sunspot cycles).

The other split is IS/ARE if this is a Inverted Subject-verb combo. How do I spot this inversion?

I agree that E is best. but I have a problem with E.

in E, "as seen..." must modify a clause and refer to subject of that clause. normally, "as+ verb-ed" modifies a clause. for example
asked my my professors, I am confused.
in above sentence, "asked..." modifies the main clause and refers to subject of main clause. the similar patern with "doing" is
learning gmat , I feel confident in my english
"learning gmat" modifies the whole main clause and refers to subject of this clause.

So, which clause dose " as seen..." in choice E modify ? we do not have this clause. is this a problem with E. ?

I know that some phrases with " as+ verb-ED" do not follow this rule because they are idioms. "comapred with" is an idiom which can modify a noun. I will not discuss this point here.

so, we do not have any clause to which "as seen..." in E refers. this is problem in E.
JbhB682
Course Students

Re:

by JbhB682 Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:14 am

RonPurewal Wrote:you can spot the inversion because there is nothing before 'are' that could possibly be a subject. the entire preceding portion of the sentence is a giant prepositional phrase.

the placement of 'on earth' is also much better in e than in a.
- e says what it's supposed to say: we're looking at indications that are on earth. (this answer choice implies that better indicators are available elsewhere - presumably closer to the sun.)
- a says that tree growth is believed to be a good indicator by people on earth (--> martians beg to differ).

and finally, yes, 'the rate that' is simply... wrong. things don't 'happen a rate'; they happen at a rate, so that preposition has to stay. same reason you can say 'the grocery store at which i bought that food', and not 'the grocery store that i bought that food'.

Hi Ron ...

Just wondering if you could give some additional examples / analogies of statement to illustrate the above concept ?

I understand what is being said above but i feel like having analogies / simple sentences --- helps "internalize" the concept

Thank you !
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:42 am

Certainly, making up examples is a good way to test your understanding (although it's easy to get into unproductive tangential debates). I suggest that you think up a couple of examples. Which concept are you referring to in your question?
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am

Sage Pearce-Higgins Wrote:Certainly, making up examples is a good way to test your understanding (although it's easy to get into unproductive tangential debates). I suggest that you think up a couple of examples. Which concept are you referring to in your question?

Sage - i was referring to Ron;s post below

the placement of 'on earth' is also much better in e than in a.
- e says what it's supposed to say: we're looking at indications that are on earth. (this answer choice implies that better indicators are available elsewhere - presumably closer to the sun.)
- a says that tree growth is believed to be a good indicator by people on earth (--> martians beg to differ).

Can you give some analogies in sentences
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:32 am

Sure. It's a case of the modifier 'on Earth' changing the meaning of the sentence depending on where it's placed. Look at these sentences and try to distinguish the differences in meaning.

I like cheese a little.
I like a little cheese.

Under the sea, people are looking for treasure.
People are looking for treasure under the sea.

In 1914, historians believed that the First World War started.
Historians believed that the First World War started in 1914.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Sage Pearce-Higgins Wrote:Sure. It's a case of the modifier 'on Earth' changing the meaning of the sentence depending on where it's placed. Look at these sentences and try to distinguish the differences in meaning.

I like cheese a little.
I like a little cheese.

Under the sea, people are looking for treasure.
People are looking for treasure under the sea.

In 1914, historians believed that the First World War started.
Historians believed that the First World War started in 1914.

Hi Sage - following are my interpretations ...Could you confirm

I like cheese a little.I like cheese but just a teensy bit, I dont like it all that much
I like a little cheese. I would like a small quantity of cheese

Under the sea, people are looking for treasure.If you go under the sea, you will find people currently looking for treasure
People are looking for treasure under the sea.People want treasures that were found under the sea

In 1914, historians believed that the First World War started. Only in 1914, historians believed WW1 started in the year 1914... Historians , from 1915 to 2018 , dont believe WW1 started in 1914
Historians believed that the First World War started in 1914.All historians believe ww1 started in 1914
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:41 am

You got it.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 pm

On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate
E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow

Hi Sage --- Question on the OA --- (E)

"Tress" in red is the right antecedent for "Their" in blue

But in E .. the antecedent "Trees" is the object in the prepositional phrase [starting with "at which trees grow"]

Can nouns within a preposition be an antecedent for pronouns ?

Thank you
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:43 pm

Absolutely, it's absolutely fine. Take the correct answers of GMAT Prep problems as a good guide for what GMAT considers acceptable and for the style you're likely to find in other problems.