Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
vishalsahdev03
Students

Many financial experts believe that policy makers

by vishalsahdev03 Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:56 am

Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

Problem between A and C !

OA: A
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers

by Ben Ku Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:16 am

Please cite the source (author) of this problem. We cannot reply unless a source is cited (and, if no source is cited, we will have to delete the post!). Thanks.
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
jasminexxl
Forum Guests

Re: * Many financial experts believe that policy makers

by jasminexxl Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:28 am

prep new sc2 Q200
whuannou
Prospective Students

by whuannou Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:10 am

I would go for the A.
In C it seems odd to put in the who and use the gerund just behind.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:33 am

"prep new sc2 Q200"

I've never heard of this. Is this the name of a specific book? What company published the book?
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
ryan.m.doyle

by ryan.m.doyle Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:30 pm

Gmat prep practice test 2, question 14.
Last edited by ryan.m.doyle on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sureshnmishra
Students

by sureshnmishra Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:08 am

can sumbdy pls explain what's wrong in opt D
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:37 am

sureshnmishra Wrote:can sumbdy pls explain what's wrong in opt D

"view X to be Y" is not idiomatic.

the relative pronoun "that (of)" doesn't refer to anything.
(for this to make sense, it would have to be "the NOUN of moderate growth", where the NOUN would come from earlier in the sentence.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:37 am

ryan.m.doyle Wrote:Gmat prep practice test 2, question 14.

fair enough.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:41 am

vishalsahdev03 Wrote:Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

remember that constructions appearing between two commas, unless they are part of a list (X, Y, and Z), are modifiers and can therefore be struck from the sentence.

in choice (c), the "who" is NOT part of the modifier (since it's outside the commas). therefore, if you strike it, you get
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve who ... are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future
this is a sentence fragment; there is no main verb.
analogy:
my brother is a consultant --> this is a sentence.
my brother(,) who is a consultant --> this is a fragment.

(note that "Many financial experts believe that" is a completely disposable "warm-up" and can be disregarded without changing or restricting the grammar of the sentence at all.)
chauhan.anhul
Students

by chauhan.anhul Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:50 am

Hi,

I have encountered the same problem in GMAT Prep test 2 .
My confusion is between the choices A and D .

I feel that option A is more ambiguous since it distorts the meaning, and makes it seem like "The federal reserve is viewing the economy and not the Policy makers".

In the Option D , the "Who" makes it clear that the sentence is referring to the policy makers and not the federal reserve who will be responsible for leaving the interest rates unchanged.

It would be a great if i can get some help on this.
Thanks.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:36 pm

chauhan.anhul Wrote:Hi,

I have encountered the same problem in GMAT Prep test 2 .
My confusion is between the choices A and D .

I feel that option A is more ambiguous since it distorts the meaning, and makes it seem like "The federal reserve is viewing the economy and not the Policy makers".

In the Option D , the "Who" makes it clear that the sentence is referring to the policy makers and not the federal reserve who will be responsible for leaving the interest rates unchanged.

It would be a great if i can get some help on this.
Thanks.

With D, I see a big problem with "that". What is "that" referring to? "that" is trying to refer to something, but there is no antecedent in the sentence for "that" to refer to.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:08 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
vishalsahdev03 Wrote:Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

remember that constructions appearing between two commas, unless they are part of a list (X, Y, and Z), are modifiers and can therefore be struck from the sentence.

in choice (c), the "who" is NOT part of the modifier (since it's outside the commas). therefore, if you strike it, you get
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve who ... are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future
this is a sentence fragment; there is no main verb.
analogy:
my brother is a consultant --> this is a sentence.
my brother(,) who is a consultant --> this is a fragment.

(note that "Many financial experts believe that" is a completely disposable "warm-up" and can be disregarded without changing or restricting the grammar of the sentence at all.)

Hi -

I eliminated A and B strait away because of the , COMMA + ING modifier because it should also apply to the subject of the previous clause, which I thought be "Financial experts" but seeing the above post I can see "Many financial experts believe that" is just a warm up, which makes "Policy makers" the subject. So is there a way to identify these warm ups or is there a rule that i can use?

Cheers
Prasanna J
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:31 am

Hi please can someone pick this up?

Cheers
pranabiitkgp
Forum Guests

by pranabiitkgp Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:30 am

Hi JP , Lets first break up your qs.
comma + ing modifier - In this example this is a noun modifier and modifying the noun immediately preceding this . So this is modifying Policy makers and not financial experts. Verb modifier can modify preceding 'phrase', or verb modifier can refer to verb not attached to modifier .

I don’t think there has any thumb rule to know when the clause before that is just a warm up or has some bearing on the grammar on the later part even inside the subordinate clause.

Here the "˜that clause’ can stand on its own with modifier and active verb .
But for say if there has a subjunctive the warm up has huge impact on the later part .
Example -
Many financial experts demand that the policy makers should always listen Wall Street first, whenever making any law - This is wrong because of should.

Right version -
The financial experts demand that the policy makers listen wall street first, whenever making any law.

Expert opinion please .

Thanks,
PM.