Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers

by jnelson0612 Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 pm

prana has given you good advice above; the "now . . ." phrase is indeed a noun modifier modifying the noun immediately before it (policy makers at the Federal Reserve).

As for identifying warmups, I have learned to keep an eye out for warmups when I see a phrase leading off the sentence that is followed by a comma.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:48 pm

jnelson0612 Wrote:prana has given you good advice above; the "now . . ." phrase is indeed a noun modifier modifying the noun immediately before it (policy makers at the Federal Reserve).

As for identifying warmups, I have learned to keep an eye out for warmups when I see a phrase leading off the sentence that is followed by a comma.

Hi Jamie - I'm little bit confused now....

1/ In the below example could you please me know the subject ? (taken from a real GMAT Prep Q)

Many environmentalists say that free trade encourages industry to relocate to countries with ineffective or poorly enforced antipollution laws.

Please correct me if im wrong :

Many environmentalists (subject) say (verb) that (that - clause introducer) free trade (subject) encourages (verb) ....blah blah...

2/ Some environmentalists believe that scientists have done more bad than good to the environment since 2002 , they have also published their concerns in various scientific news journals.

Here from pure grammar stand point What is the Antecedent of "they" I understand ......., they .... refers to the subject of the previous clause which is?

3/ Also isn't "COMMA + VERBing" always an an adverbial modifier that modifies the subject of the previous clause in this case "financial experts" Im not arguing about the correct just wanted to know how the modifier works in this question also "now" is just an adjective right....

Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

An example of +COMMA + , + VERBING + http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/The-number-of-people-flying-first-t5600.html

Cheers
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat May 05, 2012 4:37 am

1) you are totally correct..

2) this one is grammatically invalid, so i cannot help you with the pronoun until you transcribe the sentence correctly..

3) where did this example come from? you are correct that COMMA+verbING is an adverbial modifier; this means however that it cannot modify a noun..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Sat May 05, 2012 5:23 am

tim Wrote:1) you are totally correct..

Thanks
tim Wrote:2) this one is grammatically invalid, so i cannot help you with the pronoun until you transcribe the sentence correctly..

Sorry here is another 1.

Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future ; they also now view the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation

Does "they" refer to "financial experts" or "policy makers"?

tim Wrote:3) where did this example come from? you are correct that COMMA+verbING is an adverbial modifier; this means however that it cannot modify a noun..

The CORRECT ans below with the non-underlined part.

Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

This example is from from the problem under discussion.

So my question here is

1. Is "now viewing" a Noun modifier or Verb Modifier?

2. If it's a Noun Modifier then why? Isn't view - a verb?
So that would make it Viewing a COMMA VERBING modifier right?

3. If it's a Noun Modifier then how do we decide whether it is modifying "financial experts" or "policy makers"?

4. If it's a Verb modifier then "now viewing" should modify complete previous clause and should apply to subject of the previous clause which in the given question is "financial experts". and the correct ans seems to say ""financial experts"" are now viewing the economy as balanced...

I'm not question the right ans but I just want to learn about the modifier.

Please help

Cheers
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu May 24, 2012 5:00 am

i think you could safely conclude that "they" refers to the financial experts, because the sentence is indicating that they hold two different perspectives..

"now viewing" looks like a noun modifier. remember, whether something is a noun modifier or a verb modifier depends on what it's modifying, not the nature of the words in the modifier. but although "view" is a verb, that does not mean that "viewing" is. also remember that if you have a noun modifier, it touches the noun it is modifying, so it is certainly not modifying "financial experts". i am still skeptical of this example in general though; can you provide a source for the problem?
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
brijendraawasthi
Forum Guests

by brijendraawasthi Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:09 am

I think "that policy makers ......." is a DC and now viewing in a present participle which correctly modifies the subject of the DC "policy makers" .. is my understanding correct ?
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:08 pm

What exactly is a "DC"? Is that a term we should know?
Tim Sanders

RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:35 am

brijendraawasthi Wrote:Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

I think "that policy makers ......." is a DC and now viewing in a present participle which correctly modifies the subject of the DC "policy makers" .. is my understanding correct ?

yeah, i don't know what "DC" means, either. (and i don't know very many grammar terms anyway)

i can't addresss your actual question, because i don't know what it means. however, what i can tell you is that the way you've colored these things indicates a fundamental misunderstanding.
i.e., you've just highlighted "that policy makers [modifier]" in red. the problem is that this isn't an entire construction; it's only half of one. the whole construction is "that policy makers ... are almost certain ...".

here's an analogy:

I couldn't believe that Tara was on time today.

I can't believe that Tara, who usually comes at least an hour late, was on time today.

in each case, the blue thing is a single clause.
Sadik
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Sadik Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:39 pm

This is a test message.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:40 am

Sadik - MPREP IT Wrote:This is a test message.

Looks like it worked.
soumya2022
Forum Guests

by soumya2022 Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:40 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
Sadik - MPREP IT Wrote:This is a test message.

Looks like it worked.

:)

this reminded me of a post where you mentioned an "indian trap" used in an answer choice about usage of the -ing verb in places where it was not necessary!!!
You made me laugh out loud two days in a row!

Thank you, Ron!

Warm regards
Soumya
from India :D
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:00 am

Great to hear. Glad you're enjoying the forum.
soulwangh
Forum Guests

Re: * Many financial experts believe that policy makers

by soulwangh Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:12 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
sureshnmishra Wrote:can sumbdy pls explain what's wrong in opt D

"view X to be Y" is not idiomatic.

the relative pronoun "that (of)" doesn't refer to anything.
(for this to make sense, it would have to be "the NOUN of moderate growth", where the NOUN would come from earlier in the sentence.)

Hi Ron

I wonder whether "as" is a prep or something else in "View sth as".
When I look up in the dictionaries, they give me idiom : View sth(noun) as sth(noun).However, in "viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation",the word "balanced" is an adj.
According to my knowledge, IMO If "as" is a prep, it can not precedes an adj.
I am confused.
Please help!
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:06 am

None of us moderators know what "sth" means, so we can't help you until you spell out what you mean.

Everyone, please understand that when you use non-universal abbreviations in your questions, the result is that we will have to ask you to clarify, which ironically will mean that the process will take way longer than if you had just spelled everything out clearly from the beginning.
Tim Sanders

RonPurewal
Students

Re: * Many financial experts believe that policy makers

by RonPurewal Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:32 pm

Your issue seems to be something along the lines of "I thought that ____ was incorrect usage, but it showed up in an official correct answer."

The response is always the same:
If it's in an official correct answer, then it's correct usage-- and now you're aware of it.

There's not much to say here, other than "It's not wrong".