Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
750plus
Students

Re: GMAT Prep: she was less successful after

by 750plus Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:22 am

RonPurewal Wrote:actually, now that i think about it, the situation is even worse.
in the text you've copied, modifiers that don't work in the same way are being thrown into the same group!

i.e.,
'some of which' follows the same rules as 'which' (i think this is noted above).

BUT...
'some of them...' is not nearly so restricted.
this modifier CAN work like 'some of which...', but it can also modify more distant nouns, such as the previous subject.
e.g., Twenty employees moved abroad, some of them going to the Middle East and the rest going to Asia.
this sentence works.
if you try to replace 'some of them' with 'some of WHOM', though, it no longer works. (comma + ... + 'whom' has the same restrictions as 'which', except in regard to persons rather than things.)

...so it's weird to see these in a group. if i were unfamiliar with these, i'd see the grouping and think 'well, i guess these must all work the same way.'

i will raise this issue for the next edition of the books for sure.

Thanks for the advise and help, Mr. Purewal.

Warm Regards
Rajat Gugnani
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:02 am

you're welcome.
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:52 am

(D) Although she was less successful alter emigrating to New York when compared to her native Germany, Photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small Group of discerning admirers, and her Photographs Were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries Across the United States.

Hi Ron,
Does 'Although' and 'nevertheless' make redundancy?
Thanks...
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:29 pm

yes indeed. nice observation.
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:19 pm

glad to hear. Thank you Ron.
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:09 pm

you're welcome.
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:20 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:this sort of modifier -- an initial modifier that begins with an adjective -- should fulfill the following two requirements:
(1) the adjective should refer to the subject that follows the comma;
(2) the description in the modifier should have some sort of easily understandable relationship to whatever is described in the following clause

for instance:
Fresh from the tree, the mangoes were difficult to eat because they were not yet ripe.
--> requirement (1): "fresh (from the tree)" describes the mangoes.
--> requirement (2): the fact that the mangoes were fresh from the tree is directly related to the fact that they were not yet ripe enough to eat.

same thing here:
--> requirement (1): "less successful" does describe photographer lotte jacobi.
--> requirement (2): note the relationship between the description in the modifier ("less successful than she had been in her native germany") and the description in the following clause -- note especially the word "nevertheless", which makes it explicitly clear that the sentence is focused on the relationship between these two ideas.

If the correct answer is C, then the complete sentence will be:
Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in to he native Germany, photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group discerning admirers, and her photographers were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.
Here, the BOLD is a tag. it works like "not only X...........but also Y" or "either X.............or Y"
I should not write:
He is not only a student but also he is going to USA for his higher education.----->doesn't make any sense.
also, i should not say:
The person is either Stanford student or he is going to ask a question in the forum.------->doesn't make any sense, too.
if we write this correct sentence like below, then it'll be run-on sentence.
She was less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in to he native Germany, photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group discerning admirers, and her photographers were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.
So for that reason, GMAC technically withdraw red part from the here (may be there is a specific rules to withdraw the subject)
Anyway, in the correct sentence there is a tag (e.g., less XXX........than YYY), THIS tags should show similar ideas like NOT only X.......BUT also Y, right?
But, in the correct option C, there is NO consistency in this TAG, this tags works like my wrong sentences! looks like below:
less SUCCESSFUL (adjective) than COMPLETE SENTENCE.
Thank you Ron...
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:43 am

iMyself Wrote:in this TAG, this tags works like my wrong sentences! looks like below:
Thank you Ron...

^^ no, because "she had been in her native Germany" is not a whole sentence. (the idea is that she had been successful in germany, and the word "successful" is not here.)
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:03 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
iMyself Wrote:in this TAG, this tags works like my wrong sentences! looks like below:
Thank you Ron...

^^ no, because "she had been in her native Germany" is not a whole sentence. (the idea is that she had been successful in germany, and the word "successful" is not here.)

The colored part is a whole sentence but this sentence does not provide full idea according to the intended meaning, right?
Yes. I get it, Ron.
Many many thanks for your help.
Thank you...
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 am

yes
ChuyiY29
Students

by ChuyiY29 Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:38 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
jyothi h Wrote:Are there any other issues with option D , other than redundancy in the usage of "compared to" ? I thought using both "although" and "nevertheless", in this particular sentence , is also rendering the sentence redundant . Appreciate if any of the instructors can clarify on this.

Thanks
Jyothi

I don't think that's redundant.

"Although" has essentially the same function as "but".
Jake studied for the test but nevertheless failed it is a perfectly respectable sentence, so there doesn't seem to be anything objectionable about combining "although" and "nevertheless".

iMyself Wrote:
(D) Although she was less successful alter emigrating to New York when compared to her native Germany, Photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small Group of discerning admirers, and her Photographs Were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries Across the United States.

Hi Ron,
Does 'Although' and 'nevertheless' make redundancy?
Thanks...

RonPurewal Wrote:yes indeed. nice observation.

Hi, Ron, I am confused whether using "although" and "nevertheless" together is redundant?
Thanks
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:55 am

I don't think that it's redundant, as 'although' and 'nevertheless' have different purposes. 'Although' is for contrast, and 'nevertheless' is more for emphasis.

Take this example: 'Although she didn't study much, she nevertheless got a good score on her test.' Seems fine to me.

Take care of getting caught in side-issues in GMAT problems. The comparison is the big takeaway for this problem.
RAHULS852
Students

by RAHULS852 Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:29 am

Hi Sage/ Manhattan expert,

Apart from comparison error in (A) is "after she had emigrated" wrong ?

"After she had emigrated" is defining a state in New York but "had emigrated" should define timeline of Germany.

(1) After tarun had retired, he moved to New York.

(2) After tarun retired , he moved to New York.

(1) is wrong because 'After" explicitly defines the timeline.

Kindly review my understanding.

Regards,
Rahul Singh
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Yes, I agree with you. If we use the present perfect (had emigrated), then the order of events is clear and including the word 'after' is unnecessary. However, on GMAT, issues of redundancy can be less black-and-white than other issues and I'd advise you to look closely for other issues before eliminating an answer choice based on redundancy.
RAHULS852
Students

by RAHULS852 Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:00 am

Thanks Sage for confirmation.

I know comparison error is "black & white" in (A) but I just wanted to confirm about this issue.

Regards,
Rahul Singh