Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
davetzulin
Forum Guests

Re: GMAT Prep: she was less successful after

by davetzulin Wed May 16, 2012 4:04 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
davetzulin Wrote:(A) She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to her native germany

Ron,

Am i correct about my interpretation of "compared to"? maybe a different way to get to the same conclusion you gave.

as you said "compared to" is not to be used with other comparison markers, less/more, etc. then the way i interpreted choice A is "New York - Compared to - Her native germany". Two items just stated. I saw it similar to parallelism where it's a 1-part marker, and I can select how much before I'd like to compare.

so then she is less successful after she had emigrated to new york compared to after she had emigrated from her native germany

all the answer choices with "compared to" have the same problem.

right, but you're forgetting that you have to end up with a comparison that actually makes sense.
the problem here -- all considerations of omitted words, etc. notwithstanding -- is that nothing is actually being compared with germany.
in other words, if you have "compared to germany", then the context of the sentence must actually have an intended comparison between germany and some other place.

viz.
the unemployment rate in county x is 5%, compared to 8% in county y
(a correct sentence)
--> note that this sentence actually compares what it is intended to compare. i.e., "compared to 8%" is actually sensible, because the intended comparison is actually between the two percentage values.

Ron, thanks again. and yes i didn't explicitly say it, but I totally agree the comparison does not make sense in any of the "compared to" cases .

I wanted to make a case for it grammatically and then eliminate it on meaning... sort of in anticipation for the grammatically correct, but meaning flawed answer choices
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 17, 2012 9:16 am

okay.
shanmupoy
Course Students

by shanmupoy Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi,

If answer choice, D had been

Although less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in....

Would it be correct? (Not compared to C, but just looking at D alone)

The thing I am trying to understand is, whether "Although" and "Nevertheless" can be used together?

Thanks,
Shan
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:01 pm

shanmupoy Wrote:Hi,

If answer choice, D had been

Although less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in....

Would it be correct? (Not compared to C, but just looking at D alone)

The thing I am trying to understand is, whether "Although" and "Nevertheless" can be used together?

Thanks,
Shan

Your revised sentence looks fine. Although and nevertheless can be used together in the same sentence. Moral of the story: don't think about how you would write the sentence, look for grammatical errors.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
jyothi h
Course Students

by jyothi h Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:48 pm

Are there any other issues with option D , other than redundancy in the usage of "compared to" ? I thought using both "although" and "nevertheless", in this particular sentence , is also rendering the sentence redundant . Appreciate if any of the instructors can clarify on this.

Thanks
Jyothi
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:14 am

jyothi h Wrote:Are there any other issues with option D , other than redundancy in the usage of "compared to" ? I thought using both "although" and "nevertheless", in this particular sentence , is also rendering the sentence redundant . Appreciate if any of the instructors can clarify on this.

Thanks
Jyothi

I don't think that's redundant.

"Although" has essentially the same function as "but".
Jake studied for the test but nevertheless failed it is a perfectly respectable sentence, so there doesn't seem to be anything objectionable about combining "although" and "nevertheless".
jyothi h
Course Students

by jyothi h Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:20 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
jyothi h Wrote:Are there any other issues with option D , other than redundancy in the usage of "compared to" ? I thought using both "although" and "nevertheless", in this particular sentence , is also rendering the sentence redundant . Appreciate if any of the instructors can clarify on this.

Thanks
Jyothi

I don't think that's redundant.

"Although" has essentially the same function as "but".
Jake studied for the test but nevertheless failed it is a perfectly respectable sentence, so there doesn't seem to be anything objectionable about combining "although" and "nevertheless".

Thanks for clarifying , Ron !

-Jyothi
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:52 am

You're welcome.
manhhiep2509
Forum Guests

by manhhiep2509 Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 am

Hello.

In the correct answer, the sentence is comparing Lotte Jacobi's success in two periods of time.
So, does the sentence omit "when" or something indicates time frame between "than" and "she had been in"?

Please give tell me how to realize what are really compared. I find the structure complicate and it takes me a lot of time realizing that the sentence is comparing the success in two periods of time.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:09 pm

manhhiep2509 Wrote:Hello.

In the correct answer, the sentence is comparing Lotte Jacobi's success in two periods of time.
So, does the sentence omit "when" or something indicates time frame between "than" and "she had been in"?

Nothing is omitted. (If something were "omitted" from the correct answer, it wouldn't be the correct answer!)

In this sentence, there IS an explicit timeframe. It's "after she had emigrated to New York".

If you're imagining that there's some sort of fundamental difference between "after xxxx" and "when xxxx"... then, well, don't. Both of them describe timeframes.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:09 pm

Please give tell me how to realize what are really compared.

3 things:

1/
Take your time reading the original prompt. Do not rush the "understand what the sentence actually means" step of this process.

2/
Read the sentence as though it were a normal sentence appearing in a magazine, or on a website, or wherever. When you read the original sentence, DO NOT think of it as an "academic"/"grammar" problem. Not only will that point of view serve little purpose, but it will just make otherwise straightforward sentences seem "hard".

3/
When you read the sentence, do not look for errors. Just read for the meaning.
Finding errors is best left to the answer choices, where you can concentrate specifically on one difference ("split") at a time.

If you do these three things, you should have no trouble at all, ever, in understanding the context of these sentences.
manhhiep2509
Forum Guests

by manhhiep2509 Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:15 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
manhhiep2509 Wrote:Hello.

Nothing is omitted. (If something were "omitted" from the correct answer, it wouldn't be the correct answer!)

In this sentence, there IS an explicit timeframe. It's "after she had emigrated to New York".

If you're imagining that there's some sort of fundamental difference between "after xxxx" and "when xxxx"... then, well, don't. Both of them describe timeframes.

Thanks Ron.
I am sorry because I did not accurately explain my question.
Actually, I was not sure whether there is a indicator of time frame because I related the sentence to the below sentence:

I had a bigger lunch today than yesterday.

Two meals in two different periods of time are compared and the comparison has two indicators of time frame, i.e. today and yesterday.

Come back to our sentence.
"Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in her native Germany"

I know that "after she emigrated to New York" is an indicator of time frame. So what is the other?
Is "she had been in her native Germany" the other indicator of time frame?

Thank you.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:02 am

manhhiep2509 Wrote:Is "she had been in her native Germany" the other indicator of time frame?

Thank you.

Yes.

In context, it's abundantly clear that she was in Germany before she was in New York, so that's enough information to serve as a timeframe.
sinyuchen.828
Forum Guests

by sinyuchen.828 Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:47 am

Hi Ron, happy new year!
here is a puzzle

nevertheless can be used as an adv. and conj.
would u plz explain 1' the uses in different contexts?
2' if we can put commas before and after nevertheless to change the word into a conj ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:45 am

Nevertheless is strictly an adverb. You can't use it to connect two sentences.