Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: For the last five years the Dutch economy has grown faster

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:51 am

xiaolanjingheleaf Wrote:Hi Ron, why it is "the economies of Britain, France, and Germany" not "the economy of Britain, France, or Germany"? Thanks!

three countries; three economies.
SudhanshuK453
Students

by SudhanshuK453 Sat May 23, 2015 12:17 am

Hey Ron! Great explanations. One final question: is the expression "than have those of Britain, Germany, and France" correct?

I mean can there be a 'have' btw than and those because I thought than and those should always be adjacent.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue May 26, 2015 9:08 am

SudhanshuK453 Wrote:Hey Ron! Great explanations. One final question: is the expression "than have those of Britain, Germany, and France" correct?

the placement of "have" is perfectly fine.

that construction is still incorrect, though, because there is no noun for which "those" can stand. (you'd need "economies", but the sentence contains the singular form "economy".)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue May 26, 2015 9:13 am

in fact, sometimes it's imperative to place the helping verb in that location.

e.g.,
I know more about Shakespeare than my brother does.
I know more about Shakespeare than does my brother.
(both correct; most writers would write the first one)

but...
I know more about Shakespeare than my brother, who has never taken a class on British literature, does.
(while not strictly incorrect, this sentence is awful -- it's almost impossible to understand in one reading. a good writer would not write it.)
I know more about Shakespeare than does my brother, who has never taken a class on British literature.
(this sentence is well written and easy to understand.)

you can see the point: if there's a bunch of junk after the noun, the helping verb usually must come before the noun in order to maintain clarity.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue May 26, 2015 9:14 am

incidentally, you will never have to choose between the above placements, since that decision is a style issue ("bad/unreadable sentence" vs. "good sentence" -- NOT "right" vs. "wrong").

on the other hand, you most certainly must understand that both placements exist, and you must not eliminate either one!
SudhanshuK453
Students

by SudhanshuK453 Tue May 26, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks a ton Ron! You are the best!

Really appreciate the succinct, yet perfect reply
SudhanshuK453
Students

by SudhanshuK453 Tue May 26, 2015 9:39 am

One follow up question: Is it ok to replace the 'or' with 'and' in the correct answer? Because I thought or means that the Dutch economy just needs to be better than one of the 3 economies but 'and' means that the dutch economy needs to better than all the 3 economies.

This is purely based on my understanding of how GMAT treats lists containing an 'or' , 'and'.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue May 26, 2015 10:28 am

if you replace "and" with "or", you also have to change "economies" to "economy".

if this doesn't make immediate sense, here's an example that will probably resonate more with normal common sense:
i bought tickets to the basketball game and the hockey game (= at least two tickets)
i'll give you a ticket to the basketball game or the hockey game (= only one ticket)
harika.apu
Students

by harika.apu Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:42 am

jnelson0612 Wrote:
alicezyk Wrote:Hi Ron. I eliminated E simply because I think those 2 things are not independent. So " And" is not proper there. Since the low unemployment rate is an result of the growing economy.
This is what I learned from one of your lecture teaching about " and ".
But it didn't work here..
So I am confused.
Under what situation I can use " and" to eliminate choices?
Does the rule only apply to very strong cause and effect relationship?

Thanks!

Be careful! This is okay. Note that we don't simply have an "and" connecting these two independent clauses, we have a "comma +and". A "comma + and" connects two independent clauses. See more here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/com ... 11444.html

Hello jamie,
I have a doubt regarding comma+and construction.
If the unemployment has remainded ... in option E is independent
Then how is it referring to Dutch
Is it not that unemployment in Dutch remained constant ?

tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:18 pm

harika.apu Wrote:If the unemployment has remainded ... in option E is independent

I do not understand what you are saying here at all. If it is relevant, please retype your question in a grammatically correct form so we can help you. As for unemployment remaining constant, that is not suggested anywhere in the sentence. The unemployment rate can fluctuate while still remaining below that of the other three countries, if that is what you're concerned about.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:14 am

harika.apu Wrote:Hello jamie,

i think i see what's happening here. you're not confused at all by the sentence. rather, you're confused by the terminology that was (unnecessarily) introduced into the discussion.

the earlier post(s) discussed 'independent clauses'. i have absolutely no idea what this term means—and absolutely no reason to care. (i've managed 20+ years as a professional writer and editor without ever needing such labels.)
...so you shouldn't care, either.

your understanding of the sentence seems to be perfectly valid.

NEVER introduce unnecessary terminology. (very, very little terminology is actually necessary, so, in practice, this pretty much means 'don't use any grammar terms except basic parts of speech'.)
there's no possible benefit, and—as you can see here—there's a very real possibility of confusion.
vili1108
Students

by vili1108 Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:18 pm

In choice D, can we justify the usage of "with" here? From what I learned that "with" cannot starts off an independent sentence and "with....." modifier must be close to the noun that it's modifying?

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:24 am

the 'with...' part is not really a problem.

read here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... ml#p102567

if we view the steady low unemployment as a component/aspect of the dutch economy's growth—an interpretation that is certainly not unreasonable—this usage is fine.
(the correct answer presents the growth and the low unemployment as two separate observations—a different interpretation that's also fine.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:25 am

vili1108 Wrote:and "with....." modifier must be close to the noun that it's modifying?

Thanks

also, this question ^^ is misguided. if you have complete sentence + comma + 'with ___', then the modifier should NOT describe only a noun. it should describe the whole idea of the complete sentence that precedes it.
harika.apu
Students

by harika.apu Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:56 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
harika.apu Wrote:Hello jamie,

i think i see what's happening here. you're not confused at all by the sentence. rather, you're confused by the terminology that was (unnecessarily) introduced into the discussion.

the earlier post(s) discussed 'independent clauses'. i have absolutely no idea what this term means—and absolutely no reason to care. (i've managed 20+ years as a professional writer and editor without ever needing such labels.)
...so you shouldn't care, either.

your understanding of the sentence seems to be perfectly valid.

NEVER introduce unnecessary terminology. (very, very little terminology is actually necessary, so, in practice, this pretty much means 'don't use any grammar terms except basic parts of speech'.)
there's no possible benefit, and—as you can see here—there's a very real possibility of confusion.

Yes Ron , I understand . Thanks :)