Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
help23

1000 SC #677

by help23 Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:59 pm

[Deleted because this question is from a banned source - see below.]

Can you please explain why the answer is C instead of A?
SAI

ALTHOUGH

by SAI Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:13 am

IMO C. Although is used for positive outcome in the face of negative situation.In GMAT Although is preferred as it is more formal.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:33 am

The answer should be A. Check it again. If it actually says C, then darn those infernal 1000SC guys for making a mistake. We're perfect and would never tolerate that sort of thing :)

Choice A is the only one that preserves proper parallelism and doesn't corrupt the meaning of the original sentence.
gter

by gter Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:45 am

Thanks Ron. My thinking was that if something 'appears' it does not necessarily equate to being 'seen'.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:32 pm

In general, I wouldn't study from the "1000" source. Some of the questions are fine, but some are not GMAT-like, and some contain outright errors.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
tankobe
Prospective Students

Re:

by tankobe Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:43 am

RonPurewal Wrote:The answer should be A. Check it again. If it actually says C, then darn those infernal 1000SC guys for making a mistake. We're perfect and would never tolerate that sort of thing :)

Choice A is the only one that preserves proper parallelism and doesn't corrupt the meaning of the original sentence.

this qestion also appears in OG12 #14. Of course, the OA is A.
however, there still are some doubts.OG said 'although never sighted' in C and 'having been sighted' in D are unidiomatic because of 'Although typically introduces a subordinate clause, which has a subject and a verb.' rather than because of changes in meaning.
i think although X, Y= X, but Y= X but Y≠X, although Y, so C and D change the meaning. am i right? Is the ommiting of the Subject and Verb in the although clauses OK?
stephen
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: 1000 SC #677

by Ben Ku Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:42 am

Sorry, the OG is a banned source; it is illegal to post OG questions anywhere on the web. If you are in one of our classes, please ask OG questions during office hours or before/after class.

Also, 1000SC is a banned source because it illegally uses copyrighted problems without permission -- this is a prime example. (And, even if it didn't, we'd ban it anyway - a lot of the problems in the set are fine, but there are a number of bad ones that can actually mess up your study if you use them!)
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
tankobe
Prospective Students

by tankobe Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:16 am

Ben Ku Wrote:Sorry, the OG is a banned source; it is illegal to post OG questions anywhere on the web. If you are in one of our classes, please ask OG questions during office hours or before/after class.

Also, 1000SC is a banned source because it illegally uses copyrighted problems without permission -- this is a prime example. (And, even if it didn't, we'd ban it anyway - a lot of the problems in the set are fine, but there are a number of bad ones that can actually mess up your study if you use them!)

WOW! Ben, i said ALSO; it means the question also appears in GMATPrep. So i am sure that it is OK to post it here;if not, please delect the post followed.[*still wait the reply to my question]

Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equator.
(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at
(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun’s surface, which have never been sighted on
stephen
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Ben Ku Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:33 am

WOW! Ben, i said ALSO; it means the question also appears in GMATPrep. So i am sure that it is OK to post it here;if not, please delect the post followed.[*still wait the reply to my question]

Hi Stephen,

I read through all the posts, and the only sources mentioned were 1000SC and the OG. Because those are both banned sources, it is our policy to delete this post. However, if you found this question from GMAT Prep, then it should be reposted in our GMAT Prep Verbal folder (gmat-prep-verbal-f31.html) instead of the General Verbal folder.

In regard to your question, ALTHOUGH is a subordinating conjunction. Basically that means that it joins clauses that have a subject and verb. In the problem listed, "although never sighted at" and "although never having been sighted at" in choices (C) and (D) do not have subjects.

Incorrect: Although late, Joey was able to complete the test.
Correct: Although Joey was late, he was able to complete the test.

i think although X, Y= X, but Y= X but Y≠X, although Y, so C and D change the meaning. am i right? Is the ommiting of the Subject and Verb in the although clauses OK?

I'm not quite sure of what you mean by this. It would help if you provided an example.

Hope that helps.
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
tankobe
Prospective Students

by tankobe Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:05 am

Ben Ku Wrote:Hi Stephen,

I read through all the posts, and the only sources mentioned were 1000SC and the OG. Because those are both banned sources, it is our policy to delete this post[* Ben, if you have a difficulty in differentiating a baned source from valid source qestion, especially, GMATPrep question, i can provide you a list of all GMATPrep question decoded from the software of both version or four tests;there are 500 quetions or so in total].
In regard to your question, ALTHOUGH is a subordinating conjunction. Basically that means that it joins clauses that have a subject and verb. In the problem listed, "although never sighted at" and "although never having been sighted at" in choices (C) and (D) do not have subjects.
Incorrect: Although late, Joey was able to complete the test.
Correct: Although Joey was late, he was able to complete the test.

Ben, happy to see you reply!yeah, someone should move the thread to GMATPrep forum.i have seen lots of although-subclause omitting subject and verb, whether in undelined part or no-underlined part. So i will post two examples, i think it is enought, from GMATPrep.

1#Although unhappy with the high rent her company was paying for its suburban office building, the chief executive recognized rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits.
2#Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere and could be brought into the country by visitors.

Ben Ku Wrote:

I'm not quite sure of what you mean by this. It would help if you provided an example.

Hope that helps.

if the two example is 'although X, Y', then i means the following two 'X, although Y'; i think the movement of although changes the meaning.
1#the chief executive was unhappy with the high rent her company was paying for its suburban office building, Although recognized rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits.
2#polio is eradicated in the United States, Although it continues elsewhere and could be brought into the country by visitors.
stephen
gmatwork
Course Students

by gmatwork Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:22 am

Please explain why is E wrong? Although "which" modifier seems to introduce ambiguity in terms of - is which modifying dark spots OR is which modifying Sun's surface? But in the end (because of "which" modifier exception that we have studied before and because the plural verb form "have never been sighted" shows that "which" is correctly modifying dark spots?

Given above, why is E wrong?

Also, OE talks about Although being a subordinating conjunction and says that Although - introduces a subordinate clause that needs to have a Subject and a Verb. Fine I agree. Now "but" is a coordinating conjunction ....what is a similar rule that applies to usage of "but" (or a coordinating conjunction in general, on a similar line of thought)
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 am

according to the rule, "which" is being used to modify "surface", which is inappropriate here..

"but" is just a normal parallel marker. the rule is to look to the right to see what kind of word you have (ignore any adjectives or adverbs), then see if you have a match on the left. in other words, the stuff on both sides of the parallel marker needs to be parallel.. :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
sachin.w
Forum Guests

by sachin.w Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:06 am

are visible as dark spots on the surface of the
Sun but have never been sighted on

This is option A which is correct . I don't understand the parallelism that's present here. This Question has been categorized as a problem that tests parallelism in OG Archer.

I had a hard time trying to find the parallelism here.

Here's the complete Question:
Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong
electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on
the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on
the Sun’s poles or equator.
(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the
Sun but have never been sighted on
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been
sighted on the surface of the Sun
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots
although never sighted at
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun,
although never having been sighted at
(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun’s surface,
which have never been sighted on

Somebody, please move this to Gmat prep verbal folder and paste the complete Question on top.

Regards,
Sachin
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:37 pm

because of the uncertainty regarding the provenance of this problem, we're going to need a screenshot of it from the GMAT Prep software before we discuss it further..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
ElaS308
Students

by ElaS308 Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:24 pm

tim Wrote:because of the uncertainty regarding the provenance of this problem, we're going to need a screenshot of it from the GMAT Prep software before we discuss it further..

This question is from one of the GMAT prep mock tests. I have the screenshot but I'm unable to attach it