Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

lsatodyssey
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Working from wrong to right on answer choices

by lsatodyssey Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi,

I see repeatedly in the forums that you recommend to work from wrong to right on LR and RC questions.

Does this mean that we should get to a point that for every question we answer, we should cross out four answer choices prior to selecting an answer?

Is this a goal that we should strive for?

I currently do not do this for all questions, especially for one's that I see the flaw or problem right away. However, I have experienced a dip in LR/ RC accuracy and was wondering if this was better to get into as a routine.

Thanks!

Timothy.Revero
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Working from wrong to right on answer choices

by Timothy.Revero Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:49 am

I was having a similar problem. This is what I came up with: The answer choices on the LSAT are intentionally misleading and/or similar to one another. As as result, if you just scan the answer choices without doing a 'screening interview' to eliminate the wrong answer choices first, you may end up picking an attractive looking, but VERY SUBTLY incorrect answer choice when compared to another option in your list.

In LSAT land, Without knowing exactly WHY I've gotten rid of the wrong answers, I find it difficult to select the right one. So that obtaining the correct answer is a combination of the process of eliminating what I can and then thinking through what's left.

To answer your question, on some questions I can quickly eliminate 2 or 3 answers and am often left with 2 good looking choices. So I'll work from there. On other problems, I can knock out 4 answers and am only left with the correct one to check.

At first, I HATED working from wrong to right. The way my brain works, it just seemed like a waste of time. However, what I made up for in accuracy certainly justified the marginal (to me, anyway) increase in time.

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by maryadkins Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:49 am

Good discussion. I agree with a lot of what you say here, Timothy. Even when I see the correct answer immediately, I go ahead and check the others just to be certain. And occasionally, I spot one that is also appealing--which means I'm wrong about one or the other. When this happens and I realize the first answer choice I liked has a problem that I didn't initially see, I'm VERY glad to have checked the others. In this way, working wrong to right can really pay off.

sanajaved00007
Forum Guests

by sanajaved00007 Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:07 am

very nice post. :)

jeaniejag
Forum Guests

by jeaniejag Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Tim!! Its Ang how are you? I've been so worried about you. Message me when you get this :)