akrawls
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Which one...most closely expresses the author's meaning?

by akrawls Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Which one of the following most closely expresses the author's intended meaning in using the word "X" (line ##)?

For whatever reason, these always seem to trip me up. I'm not exactly sure why. Is there a better way I should be approaching these types of questions other than reading around the general vicinity of the lines in question?

This strategy doesn't seem to be working out well for me.

namisuraca
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Which one...most closely expresses the author's meaning?

by namisuraca Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:15 pm

I'm in the same boat, it appears to be not so much an exact definition of the word in reference but almost as if you are trying to express the conclusion of the sentence.

ex. Sembene's narratives take the form of "initiatory" journeys that bring about a basic change in the worldview of the protagonist etc...

A. beginning a series
B. experimental
C. transformative
D. unprecedented
E. prefatory

Now the basic answer would be "beginning a series" as initiatory obviously means initiate which is synonymous with starting or beginning but for some reason that's not the right answer. When you summarize what this sentence is trying to say, it's basically talking about a transformative experience that the director is trying to portray through the protagonist. Thus, C is the correct answer.

I realize that this can be obnoxious because we are told to read exactly what is said in both question and stimulus but I guess this is just how we have to approach these rare question types.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Which one...most closely expresses the author's meaning?

by ohthatpatrick Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:00 pm

Great post.

It's fair to assume that any time they ask us to define a word in context, at least one trap answer will be too much like the dictionary definition of that word.

So in the example given, "initiatory" = "initiate" = to begin

That will usually be the most tempting trap answer. One technique you can always try is just to replace the word in question with the answer choice you're picking and see if seems to make the same meaning.