EPark84
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

when to use frames?

by EPark84 Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:28 pm

I'm having difficulty determining when I should use frames (when all of the variables are set up in a few limited scenarios). There are certain games that appear to have a few limited possibilities, which I try to set up in a few frames, only to see that there are more possibilities than I anticipated. Other times, I overlook the opportunity to use frames, and move right into the game, moving through the game very slowly.

Either way it seems that I'm wasting valuable time. Are there any indicators for when it may be good to try and create all of the frames?

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: when to use frames?

by giladedelman Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:51 pm

Thanks for posting! Great question.

In general, the tip-off that frames may be a good idea is that

1) there's a two- (or occasionally three-)way split, and
2) that split appears to have an impact on the rest of the setup.

Sometimes people get off track by forgetting one of these two components, that is, either by investigating too multifarious a split or by wasting time on a divide that is unlikely to yield many inferences.

Another issue is that it sounds like you may be expecting too much of your frames. Remember, the goal is not to map out every possible scenario. Rather, it's to infer as much as we can given the two possibilities. It's okay if your frames still contain some uncertainty.

For an example of this aspect of setting up frames, check out the "seven trains" game from Section 2 of the June 2003 exam.

Does that help at all, or am I just telling you what you already know? Let me know if you're still struggling with this.

EPark84
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: when to use frames?

by EPark84 Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:35 pm

sorry for the slow response, but yes this is very helpful, thanks!