seychelles1718
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

What is the step-by-step approach in LG?

by seychelles1718 Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:02 am

Although I have done LG games so many times that I've almost memorized every single game in PT 1-80, I still make mistakes and get paralyzed for some games.
I realized I need to have a consistent approach for each LG, like I do in LR (For example, in LR, the first thing I do is to find the main conclusion and the supporting premise).

What is the most effective step-by-step approach for each game?

Thank you! :)

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: What is the step-by-step approach in LG?

by ohthatpatrick Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:55 pm

This is an impossibly broad question, one which is better answered by reading our LG strategy guide or trying the Interact lessons.

I don't want to try to duplicate our curriculum in a thread. Also, your example with LR doesn't make sense. Your first step should not be to find a Conclusion, because who said you're even reading an argument?

A majority of questions are based on arguments, but 30% or so of them are not.

in LR, we try to boil it down to
1. Read the Question Stem
2. Read the stimulus for what you need
3. Try to predict an answer
4. Evaluate the answers

in Games, we initially say
1. Try to picture the game / diagram
2. Notate Rules and Make Inferences
3. Frames? Otherwise, Big Pause.
4. Go attack the questions

We could have written step-by-step processes for each of the steps within that list.

And of course, different games have other step-by-step processes within them.
RELATIVE ORDERING had some of its own tidbits to remember
IN / OUT games have a pretty unique setup

And then when you get to questions, you have different step-by-step processes depending on what you're doing:
- Orientation?
- IF question? (conditional)
- Unconditional?

But which type of unconditional?
MIN / MAX? RULE EQUIVALENCY? MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE PAIRS? Normal COULD/MUST BE TRUE/FALSE?

Which type of conditional?
Give you a new rule? Gives you a specific placement? Fully Determines?

My point is just that it's a pretty complicated universe of content. There's not one step-by-step process that tells you what to do in all cases. There's lots of different things to remember in association with different pieces of content.

The most important processes you can develop:
1. If you don't know whether something is possible, write it out
2. once you've written it out, verify it's legal
3. if it's illegal, cross it out so you don't look at it later. If it's legal, use it to make eliminations/selections and use it where possible on other questions in the same game.

Most students get stuff wrong because they try to answer these in their heads or without fleshing out scenarios enough to see that they would ultimately break. So just prove every single answer you're picking and you'll (almost never) get something wrong. And if it takes too long to test the answers, then you need to practice more so that it doesn't take too long.

Hope this helps.

RandallB872
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: What is the step-by-step approach in LG?

by RandallB872 Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:59 am

Every game has their different approaches.