LolaC289
Thanks Received: 21
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

What Exactly Does "Precede" Mean in Logic Games?

by LolaC289 Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:32 pm

I found it to be a very important question to me.

In June 2007 Games section, there was a rule stated: Guadeloupe(the name of one item to be placed) will be its destination(the slot to be filled) in the week preceding any voyage it makes to Jamaica(another item to be placed).

So when I notated this rule, I wrote down something like G--J. Meaning G always come before J, but G not necessarily come immediately before J.
However, the correct notation for this rule was: J-->GJ, meaning whenever there is J, G is always the one come immediately before it.

My question is, what does precede(also, precede by) mean exactly in Games? Does it always indicate that the two items be next to each other?

Since precede appears in Games' rules often, I figured I have to make myself clear.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: What Exactly Does "Precede" Mean in Logic Games?

by ohthatpatrick Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:48 pm

"Precede" means to come before something.

The year 2000 preceded the year 2001.

2018 was preceded by 2000, 2001, 2002 ... etc.
2018 was immediately preceded by 2017.

========

LSAT doesn't seem to ever use this word, but "Proceeding" something means to come after.

The year 2018 proceeds the year 2017.
The year 2017 precedes the year 2018.

LolaC289
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by LolaC289 Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:46 am

ohthatpatrick Wrote:"Precede" means to come before something.

The year 2000 preceded the year 2001.

2018 was preceded by 2000, 2001, 2002 ... etc.
2018 was immediately preceded by 2017.

========

LSAT doesn't seem to ever use this word, but "Proceeding" something means to come after.

The year 2018 proceeds the year 2017.
The year 2017 precedes the year 2018.

Thanks, @ohthatpatrick! I personally found your explanations on this forum the most helpful. So every time I search for answers for certain questions I secretly hope to see your replies. :D

However, I am still puzzled on this question.
Following your explanation on the word "precede", it merely means to come before, but not necessary come immediately before, unless otherwise clarified, right?

Like if I say A always precedes B, it can only be notated as A----B, not AB, right?

Then how do we explain the previous Game rule notation I mentioned, the J--->GJ ? Seems to me that there it indicates when G precedes J, it always come immediately before J?

AlexV159
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by AlexV159 Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:09 pm

New to the forum and class. I can see if the rule said "weeks" vs "week", I would be confused too.

So:

Guadeloupe will be its destination "in the weeks" preceding any voyage it makes to Jamaica.

vs

Guadeloupe will be its destination "in the week" preceding any voyage it makes to Jamaica.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks, Lola, for the kind words. Yes, you were right with your examples and understanding that "precede = somewhere before" vs. "immediately precede = the spot right before"

And thanks, Alex, for the great response.

Lola, does his response make sense?

Since the 7 spots in this game are week 1, week 2, week 3, etc.
saying THE week preceding J = the spot immediately before J

LolaC289
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by LolaC289 Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks, Alex & Patrick! I think it makes some sense now. What you are saying is, the week preceding meaning, specially, the one week immediately before J. If the wording goes weeks preceding J, that would be any random weeks that come before. So the problem is with the "the", instead of preceding, right?

However, I still feel like the first explanation isn't wholly exclusive.

I don't know if this is with my English understanding or something...but seems to me, it just says 'the week preceding", it does not have to be the one immediately come before (except when J is in the second place, which pushes G to be in the first place only). Any weeks before where J is at will satisfy this rule, since they are all preceding J, and they are still, the week preceding J, when we are referring to them. Am I wrong?(Obviously, according to the correct notation, I have to be wrong...)

If the rule stated like G will be in any week immediately preceding J, or J is immediately preceded by G, there would be no confusion to me. The subtle yet confusing wording, many times, make my notation go wrong, which affect my problem solving process greatly. Ah I hate it when the rule wording confuses me!

Sorry for making this such a long discussion! However, I hope to make this 100% clear so I don't make the same mistake in the test day. :(