FaraazH787
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Test in 10 days, LGs are killing me, any advice?

by FaraazH787 Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:40 pm

Took a PT today and got a 159 due to being terrible at LGs (11 LG, 23 RC, 21 & 17 LR).

Given that the test in 10 days, what would you recommend I do? - Just drill/foolproof LGs until the test date as 7sage recommends?

For context, I've read all 3 powerbibles and have practically every test available sitting on the floor in my room.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Test in 10 days, LGs are killing me, any advice?

by ohthatpatrick Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:05 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can do anything to dramatically change themselves in 10 days for LSAT.

If 11 pts is a relatively average performance for you on Games, then it sounds like your methods so far are either making you too slow or too inaccurate.

If 11 pts was an anomaly based on a harder than average Games section, you should think about whether you were wise about the order in which you attempted Games (i.e. did you save the worst one for last)?

The way I do Games, I'm not going to get questions wrong (other than 1 or 2 careless errors per test) ... I'd only run out of time. Are you "guessing" on questions, or are you always knowing that what you're picking is legit?

If it's the former, it sounds like you're doing Games too much in your head and not enough on your paper, writing out full scenarios and checking them against the rules.

Here are some rough guidelines I'd offer anyone:
1. Unless it's the worst game of the section, the setup should be done in 45 - 90 secs (if you're spending extra time trying to set up different worlds or make deep deductions, you might want to question whether that's really benefiting you)

2. Knock out the Orientation question (that first one, for which you just need to take one rule at a time and see which answer breaks it)

3. Go do all the "If" questions, and make sure you're getting those right. Write out scenarios ... write who's left off to the side as you develop them ... use clouds and fractions to show yourself the flexible could-be-true parts of those scenarios.

4. Use that previous work on all the other questions to the best of your abilities, and then resort to plug and chug on any remaining answers

5. Be willing to bail from a problem if it's sucking up too much time (mainly this would just be if the game has a Rule Equivalency question at the end of it)

If you only got 11 pts on your last section, you shouldn't be attempting 4 games (if you were). Your accuracy suggests your methodology isn't complete enough. Try to avoid the worst game (which is not necessarily the 4th one), and spend your 35 mins on nailing the 3 doable ones. That gets you to 16-17 points, theoretically.

Hope this helps.

FaraazH787
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Test in 10 days, LGs are killing me, any advice?

by FaraazH787 Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks so much for the informative post!

11 is the lowest I've ever scored, the average seems to be 14. But yes, I am both too slow and too inaccurate it seems.

I agree, I should probably attempt only 3 games on the actual test. But, that leaves me with the matter of how to identify the hardest game - do you have a method you'd recommend?

Thanks again for all the tips!