Whatever doesn't fit above.

obobob
Thanks Received: 1
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Taking this June LSAT but not seeing any improvement

by obobob Mon May 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi,
I've started studying LSAT with Manhattan Prep materials since February of this year, and my score hasn't really improved from 157 (my scores are around 155-158). I've done all the homework (cementing last class, preparing for next class, more basics, standard additions, and extras) with actually doing PT blind reviews and retaking the same tests to master all the questions as much as possible. My goal for this upcoming LSAT is scoring somewhere between 160-165, but, at this point right now, I don't see any potential to reach 160.

I am an international student (English is my third language, and I am not like 100% fluent in English but my English just okay enough to follow college classes) and have been studying for LSAT for almost a year now (I studied with different materials before enrolling Manhattan prep's LSAT program), but my score isn't really increasing. I've pretty much invested most of my time out of my classes and school work doing LSAT HWs and reviewing lesson materials, but I feel like I am missing something important that can really improve my score. I feel like I've learned a lot from Manhattan prep program, but my scores aren't improving :( I don't know if this is a sign to give up an LSAT and start thinking about different path of my life?

I don't even know if I should even waste my time to take an LSAT this June.

:|

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3803
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Taking this June LSAT but not seeing any improvement

by ohthatpatrick Tue May 29, 2018 1:19 pm

Sorry, that sounds extremely frustrating.

It's hard to fully diagnose from afar, but I'll try giving you some food for thought.

- It IS possible to plateau at a certain point.

However, 4 months is not yet a hopeless cause. It might just take another month or two before you "level up" to another tier of proficiency. A lot of improvement in standardized testing comes because of long term brain processes. If we reinforce patterns and processes enough, then we develop automaticity in dealing with them -- a very low brain power / quick, correct reaction state of mind.

Where do we need this automaticity?
LR:
- ID'ing the question type + Calling to mind any important tendencies for that question type
- diagnosing and diagramming (even if mentally) CONDITIONAL LOGIC
- recognizing and reacting to CAUSAL ARGUMENTS
- recognizing and reacting to COMPARATIVE ARGUMENTS
- diagnosing the Argument Core, using keywords when present
- recognizing the 10 Famous Flaws

GAMES:
- The first 3 games you do (saving the worst for last) should not feel scary. They might be tediously annoying, but they should never activate a panicked sense of "I don't even know what to do".

Everything about Games gets automatic: diagnose game type, bust out that roster, rock a diagram, get the rules down in 30 secs, frame? or get going?.

RC:
- recognizing question tasks and scanning for question stem keywords in the passage to find the SUPPORT WINDOW.

- noticing STRONGLY WORDED and COMPARATIVELY WORDED answer choices and red-flagging those answers until we've made peace with its dangerous wording.

- Once you've achieved what automaticity there is to achieve, it kinda comes down to reading comprehension.

I don't mean to the RC section; I just mean it comes down to our ability to process extremely nuanced text.

If you haven't already, take a couple practice tests untimed and see what your "Score Ceiling" is right now. If you're capable of getting a 165 untimed, then you're probably capable of getting on timed, with more practice.

I would still suggest that you take the June test, because it's a valuable learning experience (and you may actually have a great day and get a surprising score, if you take the pressure off yourself).

In general, as you are an International student, you should probably scheme to make sure you're getting everything you can out of yourself, when it comes to Games and Conditional Logic based questions in LR. And also you should be optimistic that a score in the high 150s (combined with the desirable international backstory) could still be competitive at a lot of great schools.

Hope this helps.