Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

rudybaldus
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Study Schedule While Working Full-Time

by rudybaldus Tue May 12, 2015 9:11 am

Hi everyone,

I recently started studying for the LSAT via Interact, and am averaging anywhere from 10-15 hrs per week, usually around the latter. As of now, I am completing a "week" on the syllabus every 2-3 weeks ("extra mile" work included), which at this point will put me near completion sometime around late October. Once I finish the course, my game plan is to spend a month or two taking and analyzing practice tests (and fine-tuning/ improving my weaknesses), and then taking the LSAT either in December or February, depending on my level of readiness.

I was hoping you all could share your opinions of this study schedule, and whether you think it would lead to burnout or is too long of a time frame to retain and implement all of the information that I have learned over the course of 6+ months.

My initial diagnostic was in the low 150s, and I am aiming for a score in the mid 160s, so needless to say I will have to put in an average to above average amount of studying time in order to see an improvement of around 15 points. I am planning on applying in 2 yrs, so time is on my side, I just wanted to make sure that I am approaching studying as efficiently as possible while managing a full work schedule.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rudy

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Study Schedule While Working Full-Time

by tommywallach Tue May 12, 2015 11:52 pm

Hey Rudy,

I think your study plan is a great one, with a caveat: it's true that it feels a bit stretched for me (I tell students to aim for maybe 4-5 months, not 7 months or (god forbid) 9 months). I would maybe TRY to be prepared for the first week of October test, and see how your practices are going. With your rate of work, you might VERY well be prepared by then, and then all you're doing is needlessly stretching things out by an extra two months after that if you're waiting for December. Again, it's not that that's WRONG or anything, just that you may be torturing yourself without reason!

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

rudybaldus
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Study Schedule While Working Full-Time

by rudybaldus Wed May 13, 2015 4:26 pm

Sounds good! Thank you for the advice Tommy!