Whatever doesn't fit above.

KristenG491
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Some and Most inferences

by KristenG491 Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:30 am

Hi all,

I thought I had it all down for understanding some and most inferences...but after doing a drill apparently not. In your LR prep book I did the "drill it Some and Most." Of course, prior to the section it discusses what you can and cannot infer from some and most.

For example:
Some + Some = (maybe) but can't infer anything
Most + Some = (maybe) but can't infer anything
Most + Most = can infer there's a "some" relationship between the two

But on two drill examples I got them wrong...and I feel silly for doing so. The drill starts with what must be true (and I'm typically good at those so, im confused as to why I got these wrong)

1. Some cars are sedans and some cars are red
A) Most cars that are sedans are red
B) Some things that are cars are red
C) None of the above

I thought it was B, but chose C because its something that must be true and well the book says from the previous notes we can't infer anything.

8. Many dogs weigh more than 20 pounds and many dogs are difficult to train.
A) ) Most dogs that weigh more than 20 pounds are difficult to train.
B) Some dogs that are difficult to train weigh more than 20 pounds.
C) None of the above.

I chose B because well most + most = some relationship

I thought this was a simple task can you help explain why I am getting tripped up?

Laura Damone
Thanks Received: 93
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Some and Most inferences

by Laura Damone Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:44 pm

Hi there!

The phrasing of drill 1 answer B is actually a little different than what you wrote, and it's that difference that makes B both tricky and inferrable :)

The given information states that some cars are red. Answer B states that some things that are red are cars.

The reason B is correct is that "some" statements are reversible. True, we can't infer anything by linking the two statements together, but we can infer the reverse of each statement.

For 8, the issue is that "many" is not equivalent to "most." "Many" expresses a large number, but not necessarily a proportion of more than half. When doing this sort of "quantifier math," you want to treat number words like "many," "often," and "few" as "some." Proportion words, like "usually," "generally," "tends," and "more often than not" can be treated as "most."

Hope this helps!
Laura Damone
LSAT Content & Curriculum Lead | Manhattan Prep

gastarsn675
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Some and Most inferences

by gastarsn675 Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:33 pm

With Beso Aesthetics' Tear Trough Treatment in New York, you might see a revitalized and renewed appearance. This cutting-edge therapy, which addresses dark circles and hollows beneath the eyes and offers a non-surgical way to look younger, is a specialty of our knowledgeable practitioners. We customise every treatment to your distinct features using cutting-edge methods and high-quality ingredients, guaranteeing effortless and balanced outcomes. With the Tear Trough Treatment at https://besoaesthetics.com/tear-trough-treatment, bid adieu to fatigued eyes and welcome to a more radiant, cheerful self. Use our individualized and knowledgeable attention to elevate your beauty experience.