Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

LiamB250
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Self-Study Schedule?

by LiamB250 Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:13 pm

I recently just purchased Manhattan's 5th edition LR, LG and RC prep books. I plan on taking the LSAT in October, 2017 (5 months). Does anyone have a general study regimen or schedule I can work with? I'm not looking for a individual schedule tailored to my needs per se. Just a general 5-6 month study schedule so I can be consistent with how much attention I give to each prep book on a weekly basis.
Last edited by LiamB250 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Self-Study Schedule?

by ohthatpatrick Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:29 am

I would recommend that you also buy one or two of the 10 Official LSAT books (preferably more recent tests).

They have one from 52-61 and one from tests 62-71.

I would try to take your first pass through the strategy guides relatively quickly, expecting that you'll take a more thoughtful 2nd pass later.

Some of the insights in the strategy guide are really hard to absorb until you've experienced a lot of LSAT problems, so you want to think to yourself:

1st two months:
skim all 3 guides, get oriented with the general feel of the test.
each week, you should complete at least one 35 minute timed section of each type (LG, LR, RC) on the side.

You attempt these 35 minute sections timed (initially), circling the problems as you go that feel extra iffy.
Then you do a "blind review", in which you allow yourself untimed thinking to try to reach the correct answer on each question.
THEN you check answers/explanations and make Flashcards / Redo Appointments as needed.

It's really great to Redo games a 2nd and 3rd time. Any time you do a game, you should schedule a couple Redo Appointments (just take out a calendar and write something like "test 55, game 3" on two different dates. Generally, make the 1st appointment 3-7 days later and 2nd one a week or two after that).

You can also do Redo appointments for tricky LR questions or bad RC passages.

2nd two months:
re-read the 3 guides, skipping things that now feel obvious and slowing down for the stuff you definitely didn't fully absorb the first time.
each week, you should complete at least TWO 35 minute timed sections of each type (same do/review process as before).

Last two months:
Mainly you're doing timed 35 minute sections, blind review, actual review.
But as you go through actual review, you try to pull out 2-3 things you want to work on (specific question types or topics or habits) and you make a 30-90 min study session focusing on those specific goals.

Rinse and repeat.

You should probably initially take one full practice test per month (first two months), then two per month (next two months), and then perhaps do one each week, although that really depends on whether you're getting a lot of other thoughtful studying done in the meantime.

Taking tests eats up tons of time/energy, and it's not really a way to help you get better. It's just a way to diagnose some weaknesses so that you can create some targeted study sessions.

Try to keep the total number of full length practice tests you do somewhere between 6 - 16.

Good luck!

TracyM818
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by TracyM818 Tue May 30, 2017 4:55 pm

Hello I am new using this lsat self study prep and waiting on the package I just ordered.

Is there some sort of syllabus guide line that helps me speed my progress, and what sections to cover to master on self study . I plan on taking my lsat exam Sep. 16, 2017 at WKU Bowling Green Ky and hoping to finish all the sections in 8-12 weeks ? Anyone out there? Also, in the books is there explanations why a master sketch fits better than others depending on the question? Thanks. :)

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Tue May 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Yeah, the Self-Study kit should come with a Syllabus or some sort of organizing advice.

I'm not sure what you're asking in regards to "a master sketch". I'm not sure I even know what you're referring to when you say "master sketch".

LR?
RC?
Games?

All three?

TracyM818
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by TracyM818 Tue May 30, 2017 8:51 pm

OhthatPatrick ,
Great there is something to guide me even though its self study, I'm gonna treat it like an investment on a class. Oops, sorry I was not specific about the sketch. I'm finding in most of the lg wording can somehow give a hint and a bit confusing on what sketch to draw. Will Manhattan Prep give us some tips on lg's? For example, how do we know which kind of sketch to draw? Some i have seen tables drawn, columns, grid, a tree , and some that look like hangman dashes say on the lg flashcards? Thanks.

LamarK254
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by LamarK254 Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:25 pm

TracyM818 Wrote:OhthatPatrick ,
Great TestRX review site and there is something to guide me even though its self study, I'm gonna treat it like an investment on a class. Oops, sorry I was not specific about the sketch. I'm finding in most of the lg wording can somehow give a hint and a bit confusing on what sketch to draw. Will Manhattan Prep give us some tips on lg's? For example, how do we know which kind of sketch to draw? Some i have seen tables drawn, columns, grid, a tree , and some that look like hangman dashes say on the lg flashcards? Thanks.

Great info Patrick. I've already implemented much of what you're suggesting.