mikeyjacobs
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Relative Ordering - LG Questions

by mikeyjacobs Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:34 pm

I keep coming up with one question type that keeps giving me trouble in the Relative Ordering games.

An example of this question type can be seen PT42,S1,G2 A loading dock consists of. Questions 8 and 12 are the ones that are giving me trouble, I'm not exactly sure what the question is asking, this question type seems to pop up on every Relative Ordering game.

Any clarity you can provide on this question type is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

dan
Thanks Received: 155
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Relative Ordering - LG Questions

by dan Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:41 pm

Hey Mike. Thanks for the post. You're referring to questions that ask you to figure out "how many of the elements are completely determined." These questions are really really tough, unless you have a good diagram drawn. I think you'll find that a solid diagram takes care of the issue. Let's look at the game that you're asking about (PT42, S1, G2).

Did you have the following two frames laid out in your diagram? (Remember that L -- G, for example, means L sometime before G, not necessarily immediately before G, whereas PT means P immediately before T):

F -- PT -- L -- G

OR

F -- TP -- L -- G

We have to keep in mind that M is a floater; it can basically go anywhere.

So, #8 tells us there is exactly one bay between M and G. If this is true, we know M can't go after G in this case (b/c there'd be nothing that could go between M and G). In fact, the only possibility in either frame from above is for M to go immediately before the L:

F P T M L G
F T P M L G

Regardless, we know that the F is first, M is fourth, L is fifth, and G is sixth. We're not sure about P or T. P could be second and T third, or vice versa. Thus, we know the positions of four of the elements for certain. Answer (C) is correct.

Now that you've got the diagram down, see if you can use a similar approach to work through #12.

Again, these questions can be tricky if your diagram isn't strong. Focus on getting your diagram in shape and I think you'll find that these questions become a lot easier.

Hope that helps!

dan

mikeyjacobs
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by mikeyjacobs Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks Dan, your reply was very helpful, my question was really whether to include the one item they are stating. Some questions still state this item in relative terms but others have said, as an example, ITEM 5 is in the 2nd position. My question was whether to include ITEM 5, and based on your answer I can see clearly, you do in fact include the item they reference.

Sorry if my question is oddly worded, its tough to talk about the questions without really getting very specific.

Thanks.

dan
Thanks Received: 155
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by dan Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:24 am

Okay, great. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

dan