Have a question about our books, syllabus, etc.? Ask away...

RogerD345
Thanks Received: 4
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Regarding Some Discrepancy of 5lb book Drills & 5th edition

by RogerD345 Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi. I have all Manhattan prep LSAT prep books of 5th edition (Published in August 2016) and just purchased 5th lb book. IN 5lb book of Conclusion types, there are total of 9 types. (as in Drill 5) but there is factual claim and evulation type conclusion type missing from 5th edition book LR boook of Ch.2. . One of the later drill, which two of the answers required knowing the concept of evaluations conclusion types in other drills. Also in LR book, there never was mention of how to distinguish background information, opposing arguments, and counter evidence; only about trimming the fat.

Where was I suppose to get such information ?

what should I do?

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3803
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Regarding Some Discrepancy of 5lb book Drills & 5th edition

by ohthatpatrick Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:45 am

Hey, Roger.

The 5 Lb. book is not meant to align tightly with the Strategy Guides.

As you mentioned, the latter was written a couple years ago. The former contains a lot of extra thoughts / terms / tendencies / details / nuances that teachers have always discussed with their students but that didn't make it into the strategy guides for the sake of size / cost / overcomplicating things.

We're not expecting that people who try the 5 Lb. book will have even read our Strategy Guides, so don't be surprised if you see some disconnect. If any of it's confusing, feel free to ask about it here.

I saw you also have another post about where should you be posting 5 Lb questions. To be honest, I don't even have a copy of the book yet, so I can't answer them yet! :)

I just emailed the bosses to see what their plan is for this. I think you're the first one to have the book and be asking questions, so thanks for bringing it higher on our priority list to set up some infrastructure for it on the forum. I'll respond to your other thread once I've heard back what the plan is gonna be.

RogerD345
Thanks Received: 4
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Re: Regarding Some Discrepancy of 5lb book Drills & 5th edition

by RogerD345 Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Thank you always and please let me know when updates arrrive