thomash257
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Determines Positions - any tips?

by thomash257 Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:19 am

Hi,

I have been having some issues with "what Determines Position" questions.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks for this question type?

Best,

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Determines Positions - any tips?

by ohthatpatrick Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:54 pm

The biggest tip is really just, "Get to work!"

It's a plug and chug question type. Start trying answers! :)
As soon as you hit a point of indeterminacy (e.g. you don't know whether to put W here or there), move onto the next answer.
Trust yourself that when you hit the right answer, the inference chain will keep moving you along until you have a complete scenario.

Other tips:

1. You can use previous work to eliminate some answers

If an answer says
(A) F is 2nd

and you have a scenario of previous work where F was 2nd, but there were still moving parts, then you can eliminate (A).

2. Try to pin down a floater or try to activate one of the most powerful characters

These seem (and are) like contrary pieces of advice, but you're generally looking to lock down a floater (so scan for answers about a floater) or you want to trigger a really important character that may be tied up in more than one rule.

3. Do your work right off to the side of the answer choices

If you haven't learned to write scenarios that small yet, it would probably be a good idea to start practicing.

4. Prioritize answer choices where when you look at what they're saying you already know at least one more thing.

If an answer places someone in a spot and that placement isn't immediately telling you to do something else, it's probably not the answer.

In general, I do all my "if" questions (including these) before I do any Unconditional questions, because "if" questions and "fully determines / completely determines" questions force us to jot out some scenarios, which can be really useful on unconditional questions.

Hope this helps.