Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

LSAT-Chang
Thanks Received: 38
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

RC: getting over bad habits

by LSAT-Chang Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:34 am

Hello MLSAT instructors/students!
I am trying very hard to get myself used to the "PEAR" process as I feel like it is a very helpful way to "organize" my thought process, but when I give myself plenty of time to do the assigned HW passages, in order to get myself in the habit of thinking that way, I see myself using such PEAR process and visualizing the scale, but I recently did a section of RC (4 passages back-to-back) timed (35 minutes), and I seriously did not even think about the scale whatsoever, did not use the PEAR process at all, and literally just rushed through the whole passage as I normally do, and went to the questions and did not know what they were talking about (not even the main point) so had to go back and re-read the whole passage again, thereby speding 10-11 minutes on each of the passages... I think I freak out too much about time since I'm looking at my watch like every 30 seconds to make sure that I have enough time, but I never do. I was thinking of getting a whole bunch of RC passages from old preptests (which I plan on not taking as full exams - so perhaps those ones before preptest 29) and just do all of them un-timed just to get in the habit of using the PEAR process and practicing my notations as well as trying to visualize the scale mentally, but am afraid that when I start timing myself I will ignore all of the above strategies. What do you suggest? Should I instead do RC sections timed??? I just wish I could overcome my bad habits in reading (basically just skimming through the passage or reading too closely that I remember all the unnecessary details) and just be able to read in the "structural" way as the strategy guide suggests... any tips would be very very helpful...

legalrabbithole
Thanks Received: 10
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: RC: getting over bad habits

by legalrabbithole Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am

Take a step back, stressing too much over the RC can't be good for you. If timing freaks you out, you might want to do some untimed drilling to get used to implementing specific strategies.

I'm not familiar with the PEAR process, so this might be a redundant tip but I found it really helpful to glance at the Q's BEFORE jumping into the passage so I know what to look for.

chike_eze
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

Re: RC: getting over bad habits

by chike_eze Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:37 pm

legalrabbithole Wrote:Take a step back, stressing too much over the RC can't be good for you. If timing freaks you out, you might want to do some untimed drilling to get used to implementing specific strategies.

I'm not familiar with the PEAR process, so this might be a redundant tip but I found it really helpful to glance at the Q's BEFORE jumping into the passage so I know what to look for.

Quick question legalrabithole: What's your strategy for RC? Do you notate etc?