accostjen
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Question 1645

by accostjen Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Can someone break down each part of this question? It related to making furniture in one country and then importing it.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Happy to do so. Unfortunately, I have to ask you to copy in the question text into your post. Our numbering system !#$%@!#!$ sucks and I don't want to explain the wrong question and waste your time.

We try to warn folks of this in the sticky on this forum, but nobody reads those! And, it's confusing since you're not allowed to post LSAT questions - but there are ones we wrote, so it's cool.

mrm.boersma
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Question 1646

by mrm.boersma Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:26 pm

**Edit** The question # is actually 1646**

I had the same question actually. Here is the question text.

Most furniture sold in this country is imported from other countries. Yet, most of the wood used in the production of furniture produced in other countries is imported from this country. So, most of the wood used in the production of furniture sold in this country is harvested in this country.

Which of the following is mentioned in support of the main conclusion?

A)Most of the wood used in the production of furniture produced in other countries is imported from this country.

B)Most furniture sold in this country is imported from other countries.

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Question 1645

by maryadkins Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:48 am

The last sentence is the conclusion:

So, most of the wood used in the production of furniture sold in this country is harvested in this country.

Of the other two sentences, which ones supports that conclusion? Let's try both and see:

1. Most furniture sold in this country is imported from other countries. -->

So, most of the wood used in the production of furniture sold in this country is harvested in this country.

This doesn't make any sense. How would the fact that most furniture is imported from other countries support the idea that most wood in this country is harvested in this country?

2. Yet, most of the wood used in the production of furniture produced in other countries is imported from this country. -->

Much better! This is the statement meant to support. Since most of the wood is imported FROM here to there, that means it's MADE here. This statement at least links to the conclusion. The word "yet" at the beginning of it indicates that the two statements are contradictory and that it's likely one will support the conclusion, while the other will be more of an opposing point.

Yit HanS103
Thanks Received: 2
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by Yit HanS103 Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:01 pm

I have a question about #1645.
is the question stem " which of the following is mentioned as an opposing point to the main conclusion?" a real LSAT question, or is this a question made by manhattan to know how to differentiate premise from conclusion?
I'm asking this, because the first time I played the arcade " name that role" I saw this question and for a moment I thought it was a "most strongly support" question, and also I have never seen this type of question in any of my pt. but I could be wrong. So I rather ask, if this is a real LSAT QUESTION.

On the other hand, is it possible to come back and see my grade once I X-out from the page?
Also, when I'm working on the name the role, which is the first time I'm using the arcade, there are only two choices to click "end" and "confirm answer"
if you click "confirm answer", it takes you to the next question, and if you click "end" it still takes you to the next question and in your grade report it shows that question as wrong because it was not answered.
How do I end the game at a particular question, and get my grades for the questions I worked on?

Thank you so much!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:40 pm

LSAT Arcade was built a long time ago, so unfortunately it doesn't have a ton of flexibility.

You would have to complete a lesson or bail from a lesson in order to see your answers. It's set up to have a preset length so that one student's scores can be compared to another's (for the sake of that leaderboard).

So partial sessions weren't built into its design.

Yes, the question "Which of the following is an opposing point" is not a real LSAT question.

LSAT Arcade isn't meant to imitate real LSAT questions; it's meant to drill certain micro-skills.

The micro-skill of Name that Role is essentially helping students to classify each claim as Main Conclusion, Supporting, Opposing, or Neutral.

For what it's worth, I think this question is written poorly. Both sentences leading to the conclusion are premises, so there is no correct answer (or rather, there are TWO correct answers)