Q9

skapur777
Thanks Received: 6
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q9

by skapur777 Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:49 am

I was between A and C here. Is A incorrect because it is the result of a 'supply side quality that immigrant groups brought with them for competition in the labor market'? And that quality could be C?

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

Re: Q9

by giladedelman Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:47 pm

You're absolutely right that (C) is correct because it's an example of one of the cultural "qualities that immigrant groups bring with them for competition in the United States labor market."

(A) is incorrect because the passage simply doesn't give us any way to evaluate whether this is an example of a supply-side or demand-side element; concentration of businesses is not discussed.

(B) is incorrect because it's a demand-side element.

(D) is also demand-side.

(E) is, I guess, demand-side as well.

Does that answer your question?

goriano
Thanks Received: 12
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by goriano Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:28 pm

giladedelman Wrote:You're absolutely right that (C) is correct because it's an example of one of the cultural "qualities that immigrant groups bring with them for competition in the United States labor market."

(A) is incorrect because the passage simply doesn't give us any way to evaluate whether this is an example of a supply-side or demand-side element; concentration of businesses is not discussed.

(B) is incorrect because it's a demand-side element.

(D) is also demand-side.

(E) is, I guess, demand-side as well.

Does that answer your question?

Paragraph 2 is all about the supply-side element of the labor market, and starting on line 35 talks about the Japanese immigrants, being less constrained, started to establish small businesses based on household mode of production. So I'm still left wondering why (A) doesn't also work.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

by giladedelman Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:06 pm

It doesn't work because establishing small businesses based on a household production model is not the same thing as having a "concentration of small businesses in a given geographical area." The first case is something that the passages says Japanese immigrants, specifically, started doing. The second, i.e., answer (A), doesn't include anything to suggest that this has something to do with cultural aspects of a particular group.

niohelang
Thanks Received: 2
Forum Guests

by niohelang Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:30 am

I guess a better way to think about why A is incorrect ls to pay attention to how the author talks about the demand-side element in the last paragraph. He mentions that "Chinese and Japanese immigrants and their concentration in strategic states such as California ......", this is a perfect indication that though there might be "concentration of small business in a given geographical area", we still can't be sure whether it is the quality of the two groups or it is due to the socioeconomic condition in that particular geographical area. Thus A unjustified.

DevinD793
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by DevinD793 Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:09 pm

Hello, just for clarification, this shouldn't be considered a Must Be True question type? There is no direct citation in the text for this specific element, but we can infer that this is the correct answer due to the parameters set by the passage in describing what is a supply side element. Thanks for all your responses in advance they really help me out.