ZhengL938
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q8 - That long-term cigarette smoking can lead to health

by ZhengL938 Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:08 am

Hi, someone could help me clarify answer choice (C)...... :cry:

I understand why the rest of answer choices are wrong, but in case of (C), I think the main point would have been“it is not necessary to deny this fact in order to reject the view that tobacco companies should be held either morally or legally responsible for the poor health of smokers”, like the stimulus said.

However,"the fact that smokers’ health problems can be caused by their smoking is not enough to justify holding tobacco companies either legally or morally responsible for those problems" is much too different from what (C) said "it is not necessary to deny this fact in order to reject the view that tobacco companies should be held either morally or legally responsible for the poor health of smokers."

Thanks in advance!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3806
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q8 - That long-term cigarette smoking can lead to health

by ohthatpatrick Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:03 pm

Sorry for the delayed response.

Your original post had to be changed to fit our conventions, but its title was something like "I don't think C is a perfect answer".

There are two big morals to the story here.
1. No answer has to be perfect to be correct. It just has to be better than the other answers

2. There's a subtle difference between ID the Conclusion question stems that say "Which of the following best expresses the conclusion of the argument" and those that say "Which of the following is the main point".

Main Point question stems are very rare; I don't know if there have been any in the last 30 modern tests. The answers have often been a little more holistic: they either sound like "conclusion, because premise" or they might say the implied conclusion that is in response to someone else's stated position.

If you clean up the author's conclusion, "it's not necessary to deny X in order to reject Y", we could say it more positively as "You can accept X and still believe the opposite of Y."

That would mean, here:
"You can accept that long term smoking leads to health problems and still believe that tobacco companies should not be held morally or legally responsible for the poor health."

That's pretty close to what (C) is saying.

ZakB379
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by ZakB379 Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:58 am

It is difficult to say whether tobacco companies are responsible for a smoker's health. I go to college and often do various studies on the effects of different substances on the human body. Sometimes, because of my enthusiasm for these studies, I do not keep up with my basic education. To help me get the most out of my studies, I use a website https://samploon.com/free-essays/health/ that helps me with my homework assignments by writing various essays. On this website, I can find a free essay on health. Nowadays, health is one of the main criteria for human performance. And different factors badly affect the body and health in general.

IsaacN363
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by IsaacN363 Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:04 am

ZakB379 Wrote:It is difficult to say whether tobacco companies are responsible for a smoker's health. I go to college and often do various studies on the effects of different substances on the human body. Sometimes, because of my enthusiasm for these studies, I do not keep up with my basic education. To help me get the most out of my studies, I use a website https://samploon.com/free-essays/health/ that helps me with my homework assignments by writing various essays. On this website, I can find a free essay on health. Nowadays, health is one of the main criteria for human performance. And different factors badly affect the body and health in general.

What kind of site? first time I see it?!