Q8

Crogati
Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Q8

by Crogati Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:41 pm

What is the best method for questions like this in binary grouping games? I opted to plug-n-chug. Is there a more strategic way to approach it? Since this is a unconditional question, I know I'm supposed to look for the right answer rather than eliminate wrong choices from the outset.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q8

by ohthatpatrick Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:41 pm

These "which pair is mutually exclusive" questions are best handled by the logic chain. Are you currently using the logic chain?

If so, when evaluating (A), you would simply look at F being IN and see if there's a chain reaction that forces G to be OUT. (or you can start with G being IN and see if there's a chain reaction that forces F to be OUT --- the logic chain will show any mutually exclusive pair whether you start with one or the other).

If you're not using the logic chain, you should be chaining together conditionals from the rules.

For example, in this game I would get:

F --> ~H --> ~W
H --> ~F
M --> ~Z --> ~F
Z --> ~M
U --> ~W
W --> ~U
F --> Z --> ~M
~Z --> ~F
W --> H --> ~F
~H --> ~W

(10 lines, because there are 5 rules and for each one I have to also write the contrapositive)

If I were really trying to anticipate an answer, I would ignore the conditionals that only have two elements, because these mutually exclusive questions always test chains .... it looks like F and W or M and F are the two likely options.

Let me know if you didn't get any of that. Hope this helps.

Crogati
Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: Q8

by Crogati Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:40 pm

I have been using the first method-- and I don't know why I referred to it as plug and chug. I was curious if taking on the answer choices one at a time is efficient and if there was another method, so you answered my question. Thanks!