Q8

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Q8

by ohthatpatrick Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:48 pm

For Main Point questions, we should ask ourselves, "what was the scale", "what was the most valuable sentence?"

If there is a central argument, then the correct answer will probably hone in on that distinction.

If there is one sentence that feels most like the overarching thesis, or the author's signature opinion, then there is a good chance that the correct answer will paraphrase that line.

An absurdly high percentage of the time, the most valuable sentence in LSAT RC passages follows one of these four words:
but
yet
however
recently

Why? Because these words come at the point in the passage when the author turns from background information into the foreground of his specific focus, or the point when the passage goes from discussing what OTHER people have said into what the AUTHOR wants to say.

This passage goes from discussing what historiographers have TRADITIONALLY done (line 10) to what they are now doing.

Lines 15-17 has both BUT and RECENTLY. :)

Lines 27-32 are an elaboration of the same idea, and again this sentence uses BUT and HAVE BEGUN.

The final 2 paragraphs are "a case in point" to substantiate this previous claim.

We should expect our correct Main Point answer to sound like a synthesis of the overarching idea in 15-17 / 27-32 with the example used to support it.

A) "most" is usually wrong in RC answers, as it is here. "most" historiographers would be more like the "traditional" approach, and the traditional approach did not concern itself with Asian settlers' actions.

B) "irrelevant" is too strong. Nothing in the first paragraph can justify that harsh a label. Plus, this answer would be narrowly focused on the 1st paragraph (the 'traditional' historiographers), when the passage is really about what historiographers are doing recently.

C) Sounds good. Sounds like a paraphrase of 15-17 / 27-32.

D) "debate the methodological foundations" is too strong. Historiographers are "expanding their definition of a source", but expanding a definition doesn't have to shake the foundation of methodology.

E) "inaccurate" is too strong. The author would probably agree "incomplete", but those mean different things.

Nina
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q8

by Nina Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:22 pm

Hey Patrick,

Thanks for your excellent explanation!

and I just have a quick question regarding the reason eliminating A. Would the wording "confirm" also be a little bit problematic? I thought the actions of Asian settlers have indeed provided insights to better understand the history of the Pacific Coast, but are we justified to say, that period of history is "confirmed" by those new evidence?

Thanks a lot!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q8

by ohthatpatrick Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:15 am

Yeah, I agree 'confirmed' is also way too strong. The newfound appreciation of the actions of Asian settlers contributes to a more well-rounded picture of the history of the settlement, but saying it "confirms the commonly understood history of settlement," is silly in its definitiveness and somewhat contradictory in the sense that the author suggests in the final sentence that you can't properly understand the history of the area without considering the Asian settlers' actions. (So how would their actions confirm the history most historiographers already believed?)

I didn't even make it past the "most" in (A), so I never got to that part of the answer. :)