Q8

opulence2001
Thanks Received: 4
Forum Guests

Q8

by opulence2001 Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:30 pm

Hello,

I was just wondering about the answer to question 8. The answer is E and it makes sense but it threw me off because the answer says that Hopi name perform the same function ascribed to name of European thinkers. However in the 3rd paragraph lines 53- 56 that the main view of Hopi names opposes Mill's and Levi- Strauss's view (our European thinkers).

Because of this I crossed answer E out. Could someone please clarify? Thx! :)

b91302310
Thanks Received: 13
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: PT27 S3 Q8

by b91302310 Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:14 am

In my opinion, line 48-50 also indicates that Hopi's personal names have several functions which are more than its aesthetic function. One is that they can indicate social relationship. Another is that they can indicate themselves as individual persons. So, basically, these features of Hopi's personal names are compatible with the functions of names advanced by the two European thinkers. Indicating social relationship is compatible with Levi-Strauss's(line 8-10) and the other one is compatible with Mill's (line 5-7).

Hope it helps.

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: PT27, S3, Q8 - Hopi Names

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:17 pm

I'd agree with b91302310.

The main point is that while Hopi names perform some of the tasks outlined in the views of the European thinkers, that names in the Hopi tradition play other roles as well.

In the final paragraph the challenge to Mill and Strauss is the failure to include other functions that the author believes are played in Hopi names.

vik
Thanks Received: 8
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: Q8

by vik Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:59 pm

To me, C looks like the best answer. Any reason it is not?

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:19 pm

Answer choice (C) is pretty tempting... But it presents European thinkers as actively engaged and unsuccessful at understanding Hopi names. Answer choice (E) does not. The passage is more about how the names of members from the Hopi tribe have purposes different than the way European thinkers think about names. So the European thinkers are off in their own little world and have they're ideas on the purpose of names, all the while neglecting to look at how it works with the Hopi.

Hope that helps!

vik
Thanks Received: 8
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by vik Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Matt,

You are right. Also, the words 'so far' in ans C make it sound like the European thinkers are continuously working on the subject. They are not. Mill is pretty old.

Moreover, the words 'lacking knowledge' is an assumption. The passage says 'interpreters must have knowledge of tribal customs.' This is different from saying 'European thinkers lack knowledge of Hopi customs.'

austindyoung
Thanks Received: 22
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by austindyoung Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:56 pm

I got this one right but it was tricky. Lines 10-11 state that interpretation personal names have "other functions and meanings"- it does not say these other (Hopi) names do not have these meanings- just that they have that and more. I though that simply because they have "other" functions does not mean that they are excluded from also performing European functions.

And, also what everyone else said for the support of (E).

T.J.
Thanks Received: 0
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by T.J. Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:42 pm

mattsherman Wrote:Answer choice (C) is pretty tempting... But it presents European thinkers as actively engaged and unsuccessful at understanding Hopi names. Answer choice (E) does not. The passage is more about how the names of members from the Hopi tribe have purposes different than the way European thinkers think about names. So the European thinkers are off in their own little world and have they're ideas on the purpose of names, all the while neglecting to look at how it works with the Hopi.

Hey Matt, I think what you said is true but also more difficult to discern. What makes me suspicious are the "linguistic and tribal structures". This passage is about European thinkers tend to be "narrow-minded" when it comes to the interpretation of names. Since they don't expect any semantic content, they have troubles appreciating the full meaning of names in other cultures. It's not that they do not have enough knowledge about the Native American tribes or linguistic characteristics.