Q8

uhdang
Thanks Received: 25
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q8

by uhdang Thu May 28, 2015 3:31 am

I thought that languages used in this passage was a bit more scholastic than other passages, and because of additional view injected from "certain philosophers", it was harder to understand what the author was trying to say.

In a timed condition, I didn't quite understand what was the author's stand on scientific truth, so I got it wrong :cry: After reading the passage again and understanding what the author's view on the historians, I was able to figure out the answer to this question.

This is Agree / Disagree question.

Regarding characterization of scientific truth, the author thinks that recent generation of historians thinks that it's a ideological biases influenced by others, certain philosophers that the historians allied with thought that it's a complete conjecture, but the author himself/herself thinks that those two are too extreme on their opinions.

Let's go to the answer choice

A) Action from the recent historians is often implausible. (22-24) Not the scientific truth. We rarely have the definite answer to what scientific truth is in the first place.

B) Although the author did say there are cases, “inevitable falsification” is too strong. According to 16-17, this is what recent historians would agree

C) From the whole passage, considering that old beliefs are constantly refuted by new ones and existence of disputed biases, scientific truth is something hard to be discovered and often mistakenly judged and interpreted differently in different perspective. So, I think it's safe to say this is what the author would agree with. Besides, the last paragraph's author's claim on need to verify doctrines that fits reality shows that it is far from clear and being accepted by general public. (Correct)

D) This is the opinion from "the philosophers" that recent historians have allied with.

E) The author embraces verifying discoveries with actual experimentations. So, this would be the opposite of what the author would agree with.
"Fun"