b91302310
Thanks Received: 13
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q8 - Jorge: You won't be able

by b91302310 Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:16 pm

The correct answer is D. However, while making the selection, I was considering that Ruth is offering an analogy to counter an "conclusion" of Jorge's argument but not the "unstated assumption". I am concerned that Jorge's statement is clearly stated and is the conclusion rather than assumption. I am wondering if someone could explain the correct answer choice
and clarify my concern.

ManhattanPrepLSAT2
Thanks Received: 311
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q8 - Jorge: You won't be able

by ManhattanPrepLSAT2 Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:24 pm

Jorge's evidence is that rock music is by and for people in their teens and early twenties, and his conclusion is that Ruth can't write about rock of the sixties because she wasn't of that age at that time (she was an infant).

One gap in his reasoning is that he is assuming that one has to be of the required age (teens or early twenties) during time of the music. This is the unstated assumption that (D) refutes.

b91302310
Thanks Received: 13
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: PT 39, S4, Q8 Jorge: You won't...

by b91302310 Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks for your explanation. It's quite clear.

One more question, in general logical reasoning questions, could I define "evidence" as the same as the premise or cause of a conclusion?

ManhattanPrepLSAT2
Thanks Received: 311
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: PT 39, S4, Q8 Jorge: You won't...

by ManhattanPrepLSAT2 Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:39 pm

Evidence has a slightly more specific meaning, in legal circles, than simply support -- and I was probably too casual in using the word "evidence" when I should have said "support."

Let's said Tim is accused of murder --

If his DNA is on the weapon, that is evidence.

If we know he's murdered someone else in the past -- that's a clue, and supports the idea he committed the murder, but that wouldn't necessarily be considered evidence. It would be a more of an example of Tim's behavior.

In my experience, LSAT questions will not hinge on such a nuanced understanding of evidence's meaning -- the writers may give you a "clue" in a question by using the word example instead of evidence or something, but there will always be more significant reasons why one answer is right and another wrong.

WaltGrace1983
Thanks Received: 207
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q8 - Jorge: You won't be able

by WaltGrace1983 Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:05 pm

I'll just add the wrong answers too. The right answer should say something about how Ruth is offering an analogous situation that would call into question the legitimacy of Jorge's argument.

(A) No one is refuting a fact about Ruth's age.

(B) No one is arguing about what popular culture consists of, but rather, who can write about it.

(C) No one is arguing about whether or not rock music is "worthy of consideration," they both seem to think that it is.

(E) Ruth is not concerned with Jorge's qualification to make judgements on popular culture but rather her own qualification to make judgments on popular culture.