Q7

judy.kang020
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q7

by judy.kang020 Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:47 pm

Can someone please explain the correct process of choosing (C)?

I did end up choosing (C), but I'm not sure if my thinking process was correct. I haven't seen too many main conclusion questions in RC...

I picked (C) because it was the ending statement, conclusion of the passage.

However, I thought that the main conclusion would have been something along the lines of the reason that the professional associations of canon lawyers didn't play a prominent role in enforcing the standards of conduct was because canonical disciplinary mechanisms were so inefficient that most delinquents escaped detection and punishment.

(C) and my pre-phrased answer are so different that I can't help but to question my line of thinking...

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q7

by maryadkins Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:07 pm

I actually like your pre-phrase and came up with a similar one. But in reading (C), I realize that our pre-phrases do miss the final paragraph of the passage, which is important. Still, good job pre-phrasing, and you did wind up on (C), so your process worked! :)

Keep in mind that often your pre-phrase won't match the correct answer. It's just to use as a guide in going through the answer choices, as much to ID wrong answers as anything. In this case:

(A) isn't the point of the passage at all.
(B) isn't either—misses the point.
(D) But what about enforcement?
(E) The passage isn't about timing.

Remember it's asking for the BEST statement of the main idea. (C) is definitely that. Good job!

judaydaday
Thanks Received: 6
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: Q7

by judaydaday Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:01 pm

maryadkins Wrote:I actually like your pre-phrase and came up with a similar one. But in reading (C), I realize that our pre-phrases do miss the final paragraph of the passage, which is important. Still, good job pre-phrasing, and you did wind up on (C), so your process worked! :)

Keep in mind that often your pre-phrase won't match the correct answer. It's just to use as a guide in going through the answer choices, as much to ID wrong answers as anything. In this case:

(A) isn't the point of the passage at all.
(B) isn't either—misses the point.
(D) But what about enforcement?
(E) The passage isn't about timing.

Remember it's asking for the BEST statement of the main idea. (C) is definitely that. Good job!

Thank you! Its hard to decide whether an answer choice is "too narrow" or not. I guess this is when being able to eliminate incorrect answer choices comes in handy.