Q7

ttunden
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q7

by ttunden Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:10 pm

hello

I was wondering why the answer wasnt D. I thought the answer would be D because during the example the passage mentioned how BIA used the proposal of the NativeAmericans owning land as a bargaining chip.I thought this case was a good example of the readjustment and would be common proposals among all props offered to native american tribes across the country, therefore I thought it would be the right answer.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q7

by ohthatpatrick Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:22 pm

What I would suggest doing prior to looking at these answer choices is to look for where the passage defined 'policy of readjustment'.

For me, the applicable window of text was lines 8-12.

Readjustment is essentially a 2-pronged idea:
- end federal involvement in Native American affairs
- encourage Native Americans to assimilate into mainstream society

I would then look for an answer choice that reinforces either/both of these.

(A) "establishing tribal govt" doesn't sound like "assimilating into mainstream society"

(B) "creating a national project" doesn't sound like "ending federal involvement"

(C) "programs to encourage moving from reservations to urban ares" DOES sound like "encouraging assimilation into mainstream society"

(D) "restoring lands to original tribes" doesn't sound like "assimilating into mainstream society"

(E) "reaffirming federal treaty obligations" doesn't sound like "ending federal involvement"

I see how part of the passage sounds like "restoring lands to Native Americans", but the passage wasn't talking about a large-scale effort to return land to original tribes (this would mean giving back to Native Americans all the land that European settlers took from them).

Instead, what was being discussed was converting Native American reservations (which are federally owned but maintained for the sake of Native Americans living there) into Native Americans' property, and treating them more like ordinary citizens in terms of civil rights, property rights, taxes, etc.

If you were looking to the BIA paragraphs for support for this question, though, I think you might have made it harder than it needs to be. Yes, the BIA was an agency charged with encouraging "readjustment", but the question seems to be asking about the general policy of readjustment itself.

Hope this helps.

chocolatebunny
Forum Guests

by chocolatebunny Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:57 am

ohthatpatrick Wrote:(C) "programs to encourage moving from reservations to urban ares" DOES sound like "encouraging assimilation into mainstream society"

(D) "restoring lands to original tribes" doesn't sound like "assimilating into mainstream society"

(E) "reaffirming federal treaty obligations" doesn't sound like "ending federal involvement"

I see how part of the passage sounds like "restoring lands to Native Americans", but the passage wasn't talking about a large-scale effort to return land to original tribes (this would mean giving back to Native Americans all the land that European settlers took from them).

Instead, what was being discussed was converting Native American reservations (which are federally owned but maintained for the sake of Native Americans living there) into Native Americans' property, and treating them more like ordinary citizens in terms of civil rights, property rights, taxes, etc.

If you were looking to the BIA paragraphs for support for this question, though, I think you might have made it harder than it needs to be. Yes, the BIA was an agency charged with encouraging "readjustment", but the question seems to be asking about the general policy of readjustment itself.

Hope this helps.

I picked D over C too. Although I fully understand why C is the correct answer, I'm still having trouble eliminating D. I realize that "restoring lands to original tribes" doesn't sound like "assimilating into mainstream society" but can't "restoring lands to original tribes" be seen as a way for the federal government to end its involvement in Native American affairs with a finality (by relinquishing the Native Americans' lands to them)?

keonheecho
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by keonheecho Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:09 pm

Hi,

This one was troubling for me because (C) seemed like it was talking about merely a change in location, not necessarily that they are assimilating. And also, does urban necessarily mean the same thing as mainstream?

My first pass through the answer choices, all of them seemed wrong and I went back and ended up picking (A) because although it wasn't exactly what the readjustment was intended to do, it still seemed consistent with the end of government involvement. And the question seems to ask what is consistent with the policy.

Please let me know in more detail why (A) is wrong, and more of why (C) is right. Thank you!