Q7

eunny89
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q7

by eunny89 Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:00 pm

I chose (E) as my answer to question 7, but feel like (A), (C), and (E) could all be answers. Please help with this question - thank you!

LSAT-Chang
Thanks Received: 38
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q7

by LSAT-Chang Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:32 pm

I think the key here is lines 49-53. It basically states that it doesn't mean that something is lost forever or no longer a "tradition" on the basis that the people were prevented, by circumstances beyond their control from exercising a tradition for a given period of time. If you know this, you should be less tempted by (A) or (E) since both don't really seem to have been prevented by circumstances beyond ones control (at least we aren't given much evidence) whereas (C) clearly can be considered "traditional" since the discontinuation resulted from circumstances beyond one's control. Hope this helps! ;)

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 641
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by maryadkins Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:59 am

Yes, good explanation here. That's the important text. Let me know if you're still unsure...

sherminfaith
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

by sherminfaith Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:50 am

E is also certainly wrong because you wouldn't need the 1991 ruling to decide on it. The earlier ruling could also set the precedent. Few elder Alaskan Natives practicing the craft means that it has been produced "within living memory." 1991 is useful because it overturns and redefines the ruling of 1986.

hnadgauda
Thanks Received: 12
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by hnadgauda Tue May 16, 2017 6:56 pm

The pattern to look for here is a handicraft has been prevented from being produced due to colonization.

Another reason A is wrong is because handicrafts practiced several millenia ago don't fall under being traditional; they were lost "forever" ago and were exercised too far in history that the practice doesn't qualify as traditional.

B is out of scope; just because the species is endangered doesn't mean that the handicraft involved is traditional.

D is wrong because only a few people knew about it; doesn't really sound "traditional:.

E doesn't fit the pattern stated above.