mollyyiyi
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q6 - The distance that animals travel

by mollyyiyi Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:19 am

Hi, can anyone help me to figure out the stimuli pointing out that , the relationship of travel, size---correlated with diet----depends in the size and teeth and face, but how answer E is correct, and I can not understand "Herd" in this answer support any relationship in the stimuli.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q6 - The distance that animals travel

by ohthatpatrick Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:29 pm

As you said, the info we get only mentions that there is some relationship between
size/shape of teeth/face | diet | daily travel distance/ group size

Nothing in the info is black and white, conditional strength. So we just need to find the safest answer that is supportable without going overboard.

(A) "meat" vs. "plants" is totally out of scope

(B) "varied diets" vs. "specific diets" is totally out of scope

(C) losing teeth might affect diet which might affect daily traveling distance or group size, but we have no way to get to "what position in the herd you are"

(D) "all that is needed" is WAY too extreme

(E) size/shape of teeth is related to diet ... diet is related to daily travel distance or size of groups they live in. "Herd animal" means the animal lived in a group, so this is the closest thing we have to the original relationship given.

The way you summarized the facts, it sounded like you may have missed that "size" was "size of the groups in which they live".

Hope this helps.

jewels0602
Thanks Received: 3
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Re: Q6 - The distance that animals travel

by jewels0602 Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:09 am

I was down to C and E for this one and incorrectly chose C.

The stim says size of group and distance travelled is correlated to diet, which in large part, depends on animals' face and teeth. I didn't choose E because it states size of face and teeth would help to determine if it was a herd animal but from the stim, we only know the size of the group, not whether it was a herd animal or not. As I type this, I see why E would be correct, but I'll write out why I chose C anyway...

I chose C because of the word likely in there. If tooth is down then that affects diet, which is correlated to distance, so lost tooth could slow down an an animal. Is C not the answer because distance =/= speed? And also, it's too big of a jump because there could be something else that determines who is in the back of the herd, like maybe the strongest animals in the back to protect the herd or the oldest...

It sucks to get wrong answers so early on in the section :(