Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Q6

by hyewonkim89 Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:33 pm

I got this question right by POE.

But I'm still not 100% sure why (C) is the answer.

All I can think of is lines 12-15 - "all partake of standard generic elements." But I can't connect standard generic elements with "lines" in the answer choice.

Will someone please clarify for me?

Thanks in advance!

christine.defenbaugh
Thanks Received: 585
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q6

by christine.defenbaugh Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks for the post, hyewonkim89! As a strategic point, just remember that a correct answer you get by eliminating all the wrong ones is worth just as many points as any other correct answer! :D

And you are completely correct that 1) for this inference question we need some specific textual support and 2) the quote from line 15, "all partake of standard generic elements" is not enough to really support (C) as an answer. After all, corridos share a number of thematic conventions.

Lines 46-47, however, give us something far more specific. The despedida is a common element, and in particular, "[t]he first and third lines are a set convention". So all corridos share these lines! This completely supports (C).

The Corridon'ts
(A) The only mention of social gatherings is at line 16, and it has nothing to do with Gregario Cortez.
(B) We know that Kiansis is the earliest complete form surviving, but we have no information about whether 'most' are incomplete.
(D) Almost! They would have the same first and third lines of the despidida. But lines 47-8 point out that the second and fourth lines are variable.
(E) Kiansis is about cattle drives to Kansas, but that doesn't mean it was composed by someone not from the Border region.

Please let me know if this completely answers your question!

ch3014
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by ch3014 Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:16 pm

So literally all corridors have these lines? That would be not interesting at all. My reading is that line 1 and line 3 are are only set convention for one variant of "gregorio cortez," but not all complete corridos.

ch3014
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by ch3014 Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:18 pm

Further set convention is not necessarily identical with "same lines in common." Might be similar ways of phrasing or something like that.