Q6

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Q6

by ohthatpatrick Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:26 am

When we see "according to the passage" in the question stem, we know we can justify the correct answer with a line reference from the passage.

The keywords in the stem tell us where in the passage we should look. "CAW members" were discussed mostly in the 1st paragraph (and then the 1st sentence of the 2nd paragraph).

A) we can justify this with lines 8-12. Plan members can use lawyers outside the plan.

B) there's no support for the idea that members believe the staff lawyers are "as high quality as" other lawyers.

C) the word "most" is usually wrong in reading comp. (as well as its synonyms: generally, usually, probably, tends to) nothing in the passage indicates what "most" members do.

D) lines 8-12 contradict this. Outside lawyers can accept the plan's payment as "payment in full" OR they can demand additional payment from the plan's members.

E) no way to know whether or not this is true from lines 1-4.

dukeag
Thanks Received: 2
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q6

by dukeag Mon May 19, 2014 12:08 am

I got this question wrong. But let me see if I can work it out.

Basically, along with the time crunch, I misread parts of the first paragraph, which lead me to choose D over A (which are kind of the opposite of each other).

In the first paragraph it talks about how plan members have the option of using either the plan's staff lawyers or an outside lawyer. It's the sentence after this part which I misunderstood.
See, I immediately assumed that because it was an "outside lawyer" that the plan would never cover the legal fees for an "outside lawyer". But not so. First of all, it says outside lawyers can EITHER sign up with the plan AND accept the CAW's fee as payment, OR it can charge (charge whom, I should have asked? the answer, of course, is the plan, and thereby the client) a higher fee and collect balance from the client.

So D, which says that plan members MUST pay a fee above the cost of membership for the services of an outside lawyer is not true. Why? Because of the "must" in that statement. Yes, this statement could be true, because technically the lawyer could charge a higher fee, forcing the client to pay a little extra above the membership costs of the plan. But this statement could be false, because the lawyer can also sign up with the plan and simply accept the CAW's fee as payment, expecting nothing more. Because D could be false, it is not a must be true, therefore making D false.

A, however is the correct answer, because they can enjoy benefits besides the services of the plan's staff lawyers. Of course they can. They can also enjoy the benefits of using an outside lawyer, the fees of which could be paid in full or partially by the plan.