by rpcuhk Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:55 am

pretty close.
48-52 to be more precisely

demetri.blaisdell
Thanks Received: 161
LSAT Geek

Re: Q6

by demetri.blaisdell Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:52 pm

You say tom-A-to, I say tom-ah-to. Looks like you've both found the supporting lines. It's the sentence that begins with "Here her determination..."

Let me know if either of you have any more questions about this.

Demetri

tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

by tzyc Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Can line 23-25 be used as sub-support too?
The critic groans, meaning s/he thinks that should be what ditective novel do...

Thank you

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:48 am

No, we can't use that line. The question stem says "in the author's view", but as you noted, that line is in A CRITIC's view.

You should start this question by finding the keywords "traditional detective fiction" in the passage. The closest/only match is line 49, so the answer has to be coming from nearby.

roflcoptersoisoi
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by roflcoptersoisoi Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:40 pm

I picked (B) the trap answer choice. Critiques of James contend that her proclivity to include extraneous details in her writing usually does nothing to advance the plot which in turn severely impedes her ability to create a straight forward narrative. The author then mentions that her devices to advance the plots in her stories are shameless and thin.

I then erroneously concluded that since her writing is not clear straight forward/deviates from conventional writing in her genre and that the devices she uses are thin and shameless that traditional writing must include the use of transparent devices to create a straight forward narrative. This isn't the case. In fact lines 48-52 clearly state exactly why her writing style marks a departure from the traditionalist detective novel fiction writing style.