Q6

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Q6

by noah Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:48 pm

vincentsallan Wrote:Also on #6, I had a very difficult time choosing between (A), (B) and (E). I found support for all three of them and I couldn't really decide which. Isn't (B) supported by "Are there internal verifications...." (line 28-30)? I don't get why that's more correct than (A) unless (B) makes an unwarranted jump from internal verifications to demonstrable factual accuracies.

In this question we're asked about the techniques scholars use to judge whether an author's account is true when the events depicted are known only to the author. We learned that we should look for an inner consistency and keep an eye out for a lot of self-justification.

(A) is supported by lines 28-31. We should be looking to see that the account is consistent with the author's character. Correct!

(B) is unsupported. The whole point of this discussion is that it's impossible to find proof!

(C) is unsupported. That's never discussed as a method of verification.

(D) is tempting, but unsupported. We know that most of the accounts are partisan (19-20). The question is how to verify if a one of these partisan accounts is true, regardless of that.

(E) is contradicted - we want to see that an account is not trying to do that! Lines 20-21 demonstrate that.

roflcoptersoisoi
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q6

by roflcoptersoisoi Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:10 am

(B) is tempting because it baits you into making the unwarranted assumption that if one is describing a plausible sequence of events than it must be demonstrably factually accurate which is not necessarily true.