Q6

luckyzrjz
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q6

by luckyzrjz Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Is A correct because it sounds the strongest of the choices? I chose it by linking the views of the delegates with "not strong enough"(line 15), "strengthen" (line 18), but I am not sure whether I'm on the right track.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

This post thanked 6 times.

Re: Q6

by giladedelman Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks for your post!

No, (A) is not correct simply because it's the strongest. We can imagine an even stronger answer that wouldn't be right, i.e., "The UN General Assembly unanimously declares war on the member state." That would be way TOO strong.

So the first thing we need to do is determine what the views of the people mentioned in lines 11-14 actually are. Well, it says they feel the Charter isn't strong enough, but then line 17 continues, "This group ... proposed that member states be required 'to take separate and joint action and to co-operate with the organization for the promotion of human rights.'" [emphasis added]

So even though the question only refers to lines 11-14, we have to keep reading in order to fully flesh out this group's views, which are that member states should be required to act to remedy human rights abuses.

That's why (A) is correct; the UN is insisting on remedial action on the part of the member state.

(B) is incorrect because unanimity never comes up as a requirement.

(C) is incorrect because just issuing a report and calling for censure falls short of requiring actual action.

(D) is the opposite of what we want -- the UN shouldn't leave it alone, the UN should require action.

(E) is out because, again, it falls short of actually requiring action.

Hope that answers your question!

JustinC590
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q6

by JustinC590 Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:21 pm

Hi, some time has passed since this topic was active but hopefully somebody sees this. Does insisting on action (A) necessarily mean more than a censure (C)? Both compel no direct action from the UN, and C includes more than one member state being involved, which I thought lines 22-23 would substantiate.