Q6

catie0128
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q6

by catie0128 Tue May 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Can someone please explain why the answer is E not B?

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q6

by noah Thu May 19, 2011 9:13 pm

I realized I originally had explained the wrong #6!

Here's how I see this inference question: We're asked to choose what the author would agree with about painting in the 19th century. We learned about that in the 3rd paragraph. Let's see if we can eliminate some answers before going back to the text.

(A) is tempting because the paragraph mentioned portraits, but this answer is unsupported - we don't learn anything about changes in portrait techniques.

(B) looks good.

(C) is too extreme -- exclusively? -- and also unsupported. The passage says that painters moved to abstract painting - specifically by not painting tons of portraits.

(D) is tempting since we learned that artists were set free, but it wasn't because of a break from impressionism.

(E) looks good.

Down to (B) and (E). Looking back at the text, (B) is off. It seems like the whole second half of the final paragraph is telling us how photography inspired impressionistic art - but (B) suggests the photography inspired abstract modern art. Most of the paragraph is about impressionism. Only the final sentence is about abstract art, and, in fact, it doesn't say there that photography inspired that abstract art, but that it freed up artists to focus on different subject matter. That's not an inspiration, that's a shift in workload!

(E) is supported by lines 60-64.

lhermary
Thanks Received: 10
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by lhermary Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:37 pm

This is a tough one. I put C as well however I see where I went wrong.

The last little bit of C "inspired the abstract works characteristic of modern art", is no where in the last paragraph where it mentions knowledge and light.

E is the last sentence of the final paragraph.

How you're supposed to catch such a small deviation from the text in such a limited amount of time is beyond me. :D

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:15 pm

lhermary Wrote:How you're supposed to catch such a small deviation from the text in such a limited amount of time is beyond me. :D

I wish I had the silver bullet! (Perhaps a deal with the devil...)

My only advice is to note if you tend to start spacing out towards the end of a passage as we start thinking about how we're almost done, and the reading becomes almost to finish reading instead of to actually read.

Good luck!

mcmassier
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by mcmassier Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 pm

I realize that this was discussed a long time ago, but reading the explanations, I still do not see how E is correct. Literally the last sentence of the last paragragh is paraphrased by answer choice B. I don't see evidence for E anywhere in the passage. Please help! Thanks.

alovitt
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

trophy
Most Thankful

by alovitt Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:00 pm

OK, I went with B on this one, and E was actually quickly eliminated. Could anyone help me out here? My prediction was something along the lines of, "photography inspired new forms of art." How is B wrong? Lines 46 through the last sentence seem to support B. The knowledge of light and movement provided by photography inspired artists to "paint such moments in order to more effectively convey the quality of spontaneous human action." Then the next sentence supports that it freed them from prior conceptions, and eventually gave rise to the modern abstract art.

The reason I eliminated E was because it spoke of the number of portraits. How do we know that painters painted fewer conventional portraits? It never says there was a decline in painting conventionally, rather they adopted a new technique additonally. Just like classical music is still being played today. Sure, it has evolved, but we still play it in its conventional form as well.

Anyway, where did my thinking go awry with B and how is E supported? Thanks!

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by noah Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:32 pm

Looking back over this thread I realize my original explanation was for a different passage. I just went back and edited it.

As for this question and the last, hopefully my explanation covered that, but let me focus a bit more.

alovitt Wrote:My prediction was something along the lines of, "photography inspired new forms of art."

That's a fine prediction, but did it specifically inspire abstract art? It inspired new uses of light, and paintings of people in more realistic poses.

alovitt Wrote:Then the next sentence supports that it freed them from prior conceptions, and eventually gave rise to the modern abstract art.
Does it actually say that? I think it's saying something a bit different.

alovitt Wrote:The reason I eliminated E was because it spoke of the number of portraits. How do we know that painters painted fewer conventional portraits? It never says there was a decline in painting conventionally, rather they adopted a new technique additionally. Just like classical music is still being played today. Sure, it has evolved, but we still play it in its conventional form as well.

Good analogy! However, consider this "recording devices freed up musicians from the requirement of playing their songs live if they wanted anyone to hear them thus giving rise to 'studio artists' that worked more on post-production effects."

Sure, there's still people playing live music, but it's pretty clear that the ability to record has freed up time for musicians to do something else. We can make a similar inference from lines 60-64.

gplaya123
Thanks Received: 15
Forum Guests

by gplaya123 Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:04 pm

This is a nit picky question where wrong answer choice is off because of the "keyword."
Let me show you that...

A) Tempting!!! But, you probably refer this one back to line 42. But, if you read this line, it says they have developed new APPRECIATION toward methods; does this necessarily mean they are now using them more? Not really...
Also, if you read the rest of p3, it keeps talking about how people have become to learn and recognize the artistic aspects that they have not done so prior to the development of photos... the keyword in this one is "method."

B) This is so tempting too!!! But, this one is distorted. Line 46 talks about how Degas studied the light and movement; did his study inspire abstract works? We are not sure. Probably... but not entirely supported right? The keyword is "inspired."

C) this one is just way too extreme. The keyword is "excursively."

D) Distorted one like B. Painters were never limited by impressionist style. If anything, they have become to love and appreciate such style due to development of photos. The keyword is "limited."

E) This one is nice. Combining the line 60 -64, like Noah said, you get this. Hope this helps

Mab6q
Thanks Received: 31
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by Mab6q Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:22 pm

This question burns alot of your time on this passage. I eliminated B because it takes parts of the passage that are correct but incorrectly brings them together.

The knowledge of light and movement inspired the impressionist painters to experiment with new styles, it did not inspire modern art. Photography preempted paintings for portraits, so painters of portraits were allowed to vary their subject matter and experiment with the abstract. Saying photography indirectly opened this door for painters is not the same as saying it inspired their works.
"Just keep swimming"

典张120
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by 典张120 Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:59 am

I know that other answers are wrong but I am confused with E. I think it's maybe too strong…It suggests a conditional correlation that if they painted fewer portraits then they could had greater opportunity to move beyond literal depiction of object.