Q6

willbrown275
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q6

by willbrown275 Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm afraid I need a more basic orientation to working this game before even working the first question.

I understand there are 2 cases to consider:

1. F L (I _ _ )

2. G L (I _ _ )

And based on testing different medications we can isolate which medications make the final that are ranked. That is it. If you can explain the approach to moving forward from here, I will likely be able to answer the rest. But right now, I'm not getting it...

willbrown275
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: PT 40 S2 G2 Q8,9,10

by willbrown275 Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:08 pm

I think I'm beginning to see the light:

F/G L (I _ _ ) and for #6, the inferences are:

when F is in, K is out so K can't be used in answer
when M is in, both F & H are in which gives us enough to come up with correct answer: F L I H M
I think what was bugging me was: why not F L I G H...but I overlooked that although F needs to be first, it still has to be tested which requires we use either the 5th or 6th constraint. yes? :?:

aileenann
Thanks Received: 227
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: PT 40 S2 G2 Q8,9,10

by aileenann Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Hello!

Yes, so if you are talking about question # 6, all the answer choices have F going first, so now we know we can't have K since K can't go before F and therefore K can't be in this particular setup. So we certainly had to consider the 5th constraint to get to this conclusion.

As for the 6th constraint, if M is tested, so are F and H, here it's not quite clear we need to worry as much about this, at least not directly. We know

M tested -> F tested & H tested

and we also know the contrapositive"

F not tested or H not tested -> M not tested

We don't know yet whether M is tested or what is going on with H, so we don't know if this constraint comes into play. It will become a mandatory rule we need to worry about if one of the triggers is set off. In this case, the trigger would be M being tested or H not being tested (since we know F is tested, we don't need to worry about that part of the trigger).

That said, for an orientation question, I'd generally recommend that you go through by applying all of the rules and systematically using them to eliminate answer choices in the ordinary course.