Q6

hanhansummer
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q6

by hanhansummer Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:07 am

I am least good at doing this type of question...so abstract...

Why not D? I eliminate B because I cannot find the matching role of "a movie studio executive" and "a film's director".

Can some LSAT GEEK help me out?

brettboresow
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q6

by brettboresow Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:26 am

hanhansummer Wrote:I am least good at doing this type of question...so abstract...

Why not D? I eliminate B because I cannot find the matching role of "a movie studio executive" and "a film's director".

Can some LSAT GEEK help me out?

The question is asking which of the following is most analogous to "cynical bean counters" and it gives us the line reference. The first thing we should do is go the line reference and determine what a cynical bean counter is. Reading a couple lines below the sentence indicates substituting cheap chemical compounds that resemble rare ingredients in an effort to increase profit.

Basically these "bean counters" are worried about money and profit. And they are trying to cut costs in order to increase profit.

By way of example: If I sell a hairbrush for $10. It costs me $6 to make. I make a profit of $4. If I can lower my costs so it now costs me $3 to make it. I know make a profit of $7. That's essentially what the cynical bean counters are trying to do. So now we need to find an answer choice that is cutting costs.

A) Catering to popular tastes. How does this cut costs? - Eliminate
B) Studio exec imposes cost-saving (i.e. cutting costs) - Correct Answer
C) Cutting annual budget because of declining revenue isn't the same thing as cutting costs to increase profits. - Eliminate
D) Investing in art for tax benefits. This doesn't deal with cutting costs. - Eliminate (This could increase profits, but remember we're specifically looking for cutting costs to increase profits)
E) Slashing one budget to increase another budget isn't what we were looking for - Eliminate.