Q6

oyxy1111
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q6

by oyxy1111 Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:45 am

Does anyone see why not choice A?

The passage discusses novelty as well as comparison. I don't see why it doesn't fit.

Choice D is more like a statement of a fact, while choice A seems the author's VALUE.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 3 times.

Re: Q6

by ohthatpatrick Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:12 pm

Make sure you find a line reference before you dive into the answer choices.

If the question stem contains keywords like "which ... does the author value most highly", I'm going to need to find SOMETHING In the passage that sounds like the author put extra emphasis / extra appreciation onto it.

If there weren't such a "tell" in the passage, then how would LSAT justify a correct answer?

Lines 33-37 seem good. "EVEN MORE than ______ , Hughes's ____ established his writing as a landmark in the history of African American literature".

That sounds appreciative AND comparative. The 2nd thing is definitely valued more highly than the 1st thing.

What is the 2nd thing? "Hughes's expression of the vibrant folk culture of Black people"

Okay, got my pre-phrase / proof window. Now it's time to check out the answers.

(A) This sounds more like the 1st thing, which was "his rebellion against the tradition of African American art". But we have a line reference that says that the 2nd thing was EVEN MORE important.

(B) not a good match for our prephrase. "subtle understatement"? Also, the author is more concerned with showing how Hughes differed from other African American artists, not from folk literature in general.

(C) sounds nothing like our prephrase.

(D) Nice! almost a direct quote

(C) nothing like our prephrase, and pretty extreme "UNIVERSALLY appealing"?

Hope this helps.